Ronan
Should I Learn Swedish? Hi Guys, I've wanted to learn Swedish for a few years now but haven't really gotten that far (I'm focusing on Spanish at the moment) However I will be visiting Stockholm next month and I've just started to learn again. Then I was thinking if I only have 5 or 6 weeks to learn a few phrases is it a waste of time as everybody speaks English.? I like learning languages and I'll always try to do my best before visiting a country even if it is only a few phrases.. But the thought of everyone replying in English to me is kind of putting me off! What do the Swedes here think??
Jan 10, 2014 3:20 AM
Comments · 4
If you've been wanting to learn it for a few years, you should definitely take the opportunity. Do you *need* to learn it? Not by a long shot. It's pretty useless given that just about everyone speaks English.
January 10, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys. I think ye are right.. I may just stick to the few phrases i know and enjoy my time speaking english :)
January 10, 2014
You don't have to learn because many Swedish people talk english but if you are really interested in learning of course you should but it's no rush maybe you'll have time to learn more until the next time you come to Sweden :) Hope you enjoy our country!
January 10, 2014
While there is the rare occasion of a Swede not talking English, at best you'll find it being broken language. Swedish and English are incredibly similar languages, thus personally unless I'd be visiting a country where English isn't spoken at all - I wouldn't even bother learning any other words than "hello" "thank you" and "good bye". But this is ultimately just my own opinion, whatever you decide is entirely up to you. I hope you'll enjoy your trip mate!.
January 10, 2014