Mezzie
Making Progress!

I just had a breakthrough! Usually when I watch Thai TV, it sounds like this:

blahblahblahblahWORD I KNOWblahblahblahblahWORD I KNOWblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

But last night I watched twenty minutes and actually understood most of the conversation, sometimes entire sentences at a time, plus the words I didn't know sounded like words instead of random Thai vowels and consonants. I remember when I reached this point in Spanish -- it was a major turning point for me because the language stopped sounding too fast and I was able to pick out and understand more and more words, phrases, and sentences.

I know I lucked out that the particular scene I watched last night was about topics I know the vocabulary for, but hearing words instead of just sounds IS something to get excited over. I also had an easier time understanding what my in-laws were saying at lunch a few days ago. I have a long way to go, but I'm excited to have made noticeable progress. Now Thai sounds more like this:

blah blah WORD I KNOW blah blah WORD I KNOW WORD I KNOW WORD I KNOW blah blah blah WORD I KNOW.

It may not seem that different, but it's a HUGE difference to me. Has anyone else made any recent progress?

Jan 12, 2014 12:10 PM
Comments · 8

Hey!
Just want to stop by and say congratulations!
สู้ๆนะคะ :D

September 5, 2014

Good job! Thai can be very difficult. Keep up the hard work.

January 17, 2014

I have the same problem with Russian and when i watch russian videos on youtube and i know some words , i feel so happy and i kept telling myself i know this word i know this word and i think that we all have a long way to go not only you because sometimes leanring languages can take some time more than i think and that's exactly what i realized when learning russian that it is just a step from many steps i need to take .maybe it sounds silly to some, but i think that watching cartoons can be useful in the begining 

Good luck to all of us :D

January 17, 2014

Congratulations! I'm constantly watching Thai drama to learn Thai by myself and its been about 6-7 months now. My listening has definitely improved but not sure about spoken coz got no one to talk to yet. I do believe the more exposure you have on the language the quicker you succeed! 

January 17, 2014

For my is amazing when I listen an old song on the radio and I understand parts of it! It's like replacing the "bla bla bla" in my head for its actual lyrics. In my case it's like a game because songs are usually in English so I have a lot of opportunities. I'm glad you arrive to that point because it's very motivating! Regards!

January 13, 2014
Show more