Site Feedback

What do you think about vegetarianism/veganism?

well, I ask because I think people tend to be really judgamental about it.

I am a vegetarian and I think people are way too rough about it... 

so, what do u think? and if you are a vegan/vegetarian, what is your experience?

Share:

Comments

Of course people will judge you for that. It's human nature to have an opinion on things that are none of your damn business.

I've been one for a decade and I've learned to deal with these kinds of people - criticizing is easy, actually proving a point, not so much ;)

Ikarus, I totally agree with you! and Alexandra... I don't think it's that obvious, people should be polite enough to respect other people's beliefs, acts, habits, etc... and of course, with time you learn to deal with that bullshit but that does not mean it's right.

I see it differently.  Non-vegetarians rarely enter a room -- real or viritual -- and start telling people what they should eat.  Whenever I've seen a meat eater defend the consuming of meat here on italki, for example, it's always in response to a comment first made by a vegetarian.  Indeed, it's the vegetarians who more often display a judgmental "holier than thou" attitude. As has been said, it's none of anyone's, er, business, what others eat.

well I admit there are some annoying vegetarians... but that does not mean we all are! and I don't think it always start with a vegetarian's comment, although it usually is, I've been teased about being a vegetarian without me starting the argument... but with time I've learn not to pay attention to those comments.

Cherry bomb: Ideally they should, but how often does that actually happen?

Neil: Try casually mentioning to people you're a vegetarian and see how many of them just say "ok that's cool" and start talking about something else. I've met about two people who did, the rest always give you their two cents as if it were of any interest to you... I've participated in a bunch of (sometimes heated) discussions on the topic because, while I respect everyone's personal choices, I will defend what I believe in if someone randomly starts criticizing it.

Why do people judge and criticize each other for what they choose to eat? If you choose to be a vegetarian, it is your right to choose that and I respect your decision. I choose to eat meat because I feel that is what is right for me. In general, I think people worry too much about other people's business.

Alexandra: I would be the third person to just say, "OK, that's cool" and start talking about something else, although sometimes I ask a person what led them to make the choice to be vegetarian, not to be judgemental, but because I am genuinely curious.

cherry bomb,  how long are you vegetarian ?

Healthiest Meal Ever: According To Scientists

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/10/healthiest-meal-ever/

"Scientists have unveiled the healthiest meal ever. I have certainly found on my ultra-endurance cycle journey’s that the food that fuels the body to perform is just as important as the physical conditioning and training. The proper balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats is extremely important.This list was compiled by scientists at the Leatherhead Food Research company in the U.K. What they did was examine 4,000 health claims used by food companies and food distributors. From this they narrowed it down to 222 foods using scientific facts and data. The menu spotlights, among others, cholesterol-balancing omega-3s (from fish and other good-for-you foods) and folates, which can be found in multigrain breads.

So here it is, the healthiest meal ever:

Salmon terrine (The salmon terrine requires minced salmon filets, butter, eggs, wine, and spices as its ingredients. Other ingredients such as onions, mushrooms, and spinach leaves may be added)

• Mixed leaf salad with extra-virgin olive oil dressing

Chicken casserole with lentils

• Mixed vegetables

• High-fibre multigrain rolls

For dessert, the most nutritious option is yogurt-based blancmange topped with walnuts and a sugar-free caramel sauce. This dessert is good for your digestion, blood-glucose control and teeth...."

I think, mother-nature is wiser than any of us,  and it made us (humans) omnivorous. So, I cannot consider vegetarianism to be healthy. However, it's everyone's right to eat or not to eat whatever he wants.

vamosaseramigos: The nutritional benefits of chicken and salmon can be found in other non-animal products. Having meat once or twice a week isn't unhealthy but you can certainly do without it.

Add a comment