Site Feedback

Do you kill your language?

In a world where English is the global language, we have two different kind of approaches.

As an example:

Italian people have replaced the word "albergo" with the English word "hotel".

French people keep on saying "ordinateur" instead of "computer".

Which one do you think is the best?

(please note that I used Italian and French as examples just because I can speak them. The topic works for all languages)

Share:

Comments

Hotel is not a native English word. The English borrowed this word from the French language. So it's the other way round: it is a French word that, through English, has become international.

Sadly, It is happening here in my country. We speak taglish (Tagalog english combination) because we either forgot/ don't know what are some other english word in our language.

Thank you for the correction, i did not know that. However the origin of the word hotel is not my point.

It is a very interesting topic. Here in China more and more people are using English words instead of Chinese ones, but in mainland China if someone talks in Chinese with some English words, he or she will be regarded as showing off(cuz not everyone can speak English well) and sometimes it is really annoying if he or she makes grammar mistakes or uses the wrong words trying to look well educated. But people in Hong Kong are already used to this, they have replaced a lot of Cantonese words with English ones.

However, I believe either way is ok, one is "welcome new language" and the other is "stick to their own culture". I think people can replace some of their words with English ones to make language diversified and fun but the most important thing is to always bear in mind your mother tongue and be good at it.

The thing that frustrates me is the need to create new words in other languages. The French will invent a new word rather than adopt an english one. that is just stupid. 

English has adopted many words from other languages and continues to do so. 

As already noted, English uses many, many words borrowed from other languages, or words derived from the words of other languages. If it increases understandability or ease of use, then it will probably happen.

I agree with Stella. Research says that the mastery of other languages demands mastery of the mother tongue, it is a prerequisite for creative expression in other languages.

Usually people try to speak English because they want to be modern and "civilized" but they do not understand that, even if a language satisfy today's need to communicate, it does not mean that we should forget our culture, thoughts and memories just to conform.

There is a balance between tradition and practicially. in the UK there are regional languages, mostly forms of Gaelic. These are dying out though despite efforts to protect them. 

Perhaps we should all learn esparanto :) 

Exactly there is a balance between tradition and practicality. I believe that you can learn all the languages that you want (even Esperanto :) ) but none of them will replace your mother tongue.

Language is not just for conversing, just 2 or 3 words coming out of our mouths. If I write freedom or indipendence, each one of you draws a specific image in their own mind. There are specific feelings of a specific day in a specific historical period. Language is an idea inside that relates to how we think.

That's why all the important writers in world literature were fluent in at least one other language than their own. Cicero was an accomplished speaker of Greek, Petrarch, a similarly accomplished speaker of Latin; Shakespeare's knowledge of Greek and Latin well surpassed that of today's average student of classical languages; Tolstoy's French was formidable; Baudelaire's knowledge of English was vast and subtle; for Beckett, French was practically his second native language. So it is true that foreign languages are a mirror into one's mother tonge.

Add a comment