James :)
Whats your best source for Language Learning???

Im trying to find a way to speak a language fluently in a few months and I am struggling to find one. Im going to have a look at Assimil and that sounds great! Any ideas? Any contributions I am thankful for.

Jan 18, 2014 9:02 AM
Comments · 4

you're in the wright way Assimil is the best

good luck

February 7, 2014

Hi James, I've only juat started using this site after it was recommended. For learning vocab I've found Memrise to be good with a massive database and an app for learning on the move. I also use Anki for flashcards and they also have an app.

Hope this was helpful.

Matt.

February 7, 2014

I watch movies and tv series always with czech subs even if they are german, english or spanish and now I start to listening a little bit czech radio. Check BSB player. It looks for you automatically for the subs.
I compare it to go to the gym. For some reason I am not a gym guy, and when I go I do quite a lot of more effort than other people to get way less results.
They know exactly their routine and how and when to do it and they get the results.
I just go there, and try hard and I can see some results but nothing I can keep in the long term and way less effective than these other people who really know their way.
In my opinion with languages it is exact the same.
I have my blog on this: learningczech.org, in case you wanna have a look.
Feel free to ask.
Cheers,
Jacobo

January 21, 2014

there are no magic tricks.
I think what it is the most important it is to find out what it really works out for you.
Once you find the way, where you are really feeling it is working for you then it is just a matter of perseverance.
I started to learn czech 8 months ago, and I am quite happy with my progress. I manage alreday to get by in day to day conversations and this without living in the country.
It was a little bit based on the experience I already had after learning german language and trying different methods and ways to learn this language until I found out what it really works out for me.
Now I am applying this to czech and my progress is way better than what it took me to manage to speak a decent conversational german level (2 years)
In my case, and as I said, this it what you need to find out. What it works for me, it is to read a lot in both languages. Following the style of "Assimil" books I really like them, I have an online teacher via skype to focus more on the grammar twice per week. The basic book for the grammar I am following it is the step by step which I think it is quite ok.
The adapted books for A1 and A2, that you can find in libraries and also the bilingual books where the same text is presented in both languages.

January 21, 2014