Site Feedback

How can we deal with diversity?

In my opinion, there are 2 kind of identities:
There are identities which are passed down generationally from parent to child. Those are things like ethnicity, frequently nationality, language. We are, most of the time, respectful towards these identities.
Though, there are other identities that are alien to your parents and that you have to discover when you get to see them in peers. Those are things like deafness, being gay, Down syndrome. And those identities people have, almost always, tried to cure.
How can self-acceptance, family acceptance and social acceptance be achieved?

Share:

Comments

Two words - Lizzie Velasquez. She has told all about how to deal with accepting yourself.

http://youtu.be/c62Aqdlzvqk

Thank you, I have already listened to her speech. :)
I believe she is an amazing person. 

Expanding your world view to include people who are different from you and your parents is a big part of growing up. I think certain things like being gay won't be such a hurdle for people as society comes to accept different sexualities. But part of formulating your own identity is about taking the values your parents instill in you and apply them to the world as you experience it in a way that maybe they don't because they grew up in a different era. You can value treating everyone the same, and realize on your own that others aren't any different than you are at their core. Things like that. I'll have to watch that video; it sounds good ~

We, as society, have achieved enormous progress in the treatment of gay people. Though, we forget how we used to see people who had other differences, how we used to see people who were disabled,
How inhuman we held people to be. And the change that's been accomplished there, which is almost equally radical, is one that we pay not very much attention to.

I believe you are right when you say that it is about takingthe values of your parents instill in you and apply them to the world, but maybe it is not about the values, maybe is just about the love.

Love is something that ideally is there unconditionally throughout the relationship between a parent and a child. But acceptance is something that takes time. Perhaps we can reach acceptance trough love.

"I believe you are right when you say that it is about takingthe values of your parents instill in you and apply them to the world, but maybe it is not about the values, maybe is just about the love."----Claudia

I would observe first that it can be generally an error to presume that Values  exist.

I would observe secondly that it can be generally an error  to presume  that any Value was

"instilled" by a parent.  

I would observe thirdly that your   ideas are framed in rhetoric rather than specific facts.

For example, you offer no definition at all which distinguishes  "love" from "acceptance".

You  fail to indicate what an "acceptance"  is.

I would observe fourthly, that you fail also to show how an "acceptance" is determined to either exist or not exist. Your conclusions lack objective knowledge.

Fifth, you conclude that "acceptance" takes time, but you write nothing which objectively distinguishes an "acceptance" from a "non-acceptance" or a rejection.

Rhetoric is always problematic that way. It is used to "lead" people or persuade, but it has the common fault of being a confused array of ambiguous and confused terminology.

Moreover, people who write rhetorically often do so on the basis of unstated or hidden premises.

Without citing some objective fact for your premise, it is very difficult to understand what it is that you actually intend to accomplish. Clearly, you wish to discuss something termed "acceptance" but your argument as to why any modern person should accept or reject any proposition is vague at best.

Perhaps, if you read the introduction, you will notice that I was talking about self-acceptance, family acceptance and social acceptance.
I do not want write rhetorically (what is the point to do that?) but I am trying to make a conversation and there are two parts in a conversation: one part in which I express my opinion and one part in which I read other's opinion. Perhaps if you express your idea, instead of judge what I have written, we can have a conversation.
Values, love, acceptance, these ones are vagus terms for sure. The fact is that, each one of us, has a different point of view about what these words mean. And I cannot speak for everybody saying love is X and acceptance is Y.
I do not want to persuade anybody with my speech both because I am not selling anything and both because I am not trying to obtain votes for some reason.
I am not saying anything specific because my point is not to tell people if they have to accept diversity or how to do it. A person could even write that he believes that Italians are different and they deserve to be exiled, and I will still ask for the reason of the thought. I want to read people's opinion and discuss about the topic.

You ask for fact. Well I do not know any deaf or dwarf people, so it is a little bit difficult to write specific facts. I wrote about the treatment of gay people, how is amazing that a illness has become an identity.
I am sorry if my writing has upset you so much.

"...but I am trying to make a conversation and there are two parts in a conversation: one part in which I express my opinion and one part in which I read other's opinion."----Claudia

(1)   That is not specifically,  a statement of fact.   Conversation can occur  in which Facts  are the basis of the dialogue  and Opininons   have no role in the conversation.

(2) Moreover,  I think it would be a mistaken  conclusion  for anyone to claim that we were not engaged in  "conversation".  You have a subject and some  initial claims in the form of rhetoricals, and you have responses from other forum members  in which discussion of your subject is the stated object.

-------------------------

(3)  "Perhaps, if you read the introduction, you will notice that I was talking about self-acceptance, family acceptance and social acceptance."----Claudia

Are you advocating that something designated a  transcendent  SELF exists, such that it can be

"accepted"?

Can you refer forum members to objective data which indicate when an "acceptance"  has occurred

in   a   SELF,   a  family,  or a society?

Thank for your participation, Bruce

Thank you Claudia, and thank you for the discussion topic.

"I am not saying anything specific because my point is not to tell people

if they have to accept diversity or how to do it."--------Claudia

I think I understand you better.    From what you write,   there would be no specific distinction  between  either an  "acceptance"  or a rejection   or   "non-acceptance" therefore.

Terms like "value" have no specific meaning,  but are   merely generalized terms which people employ  without  objective meaning.   Dialogue concerning these subjects therefore,  consist of subjective meanings, regarding which each individual   freely interprets meaning  as they wish.

Add a comment