(ARTICLE) IELTS Grammar:State Verbs
Present continuous is not normally used with state verbs because the meaning of the verb itself is general truth rather than something temporary.These verbs describe thoughts,feelings,senses,possessions and descriptions.
Here are some examples of state verbs:
I assume you're too busy to play games.
I love music.
This pie smells delicious.
My father owns a resaurant.
You look like your mother.
Some state verbs can be used in the continuos form when the meaning is temporary:
What are you thinking about?(Now)
I think that you are smart.(State of opinion)
No comment given.
- i want to learn about suffix and prefix
- Great JAPN online resources/apps
- i wanna make friends
- How Do You Make Small Talk With Strangers When You're A Foreigner in Another Country?
- What can I do to memorize my lessons? :'(
- Why are you here?
- Mystery: Why would some people register a new account here and say it's their first language exchange while..?