(ARTICLE) IELTS Grammar:State Verbs
Present continuous is not normally used with state verbs because the meaning of the verb itself is general truth rather than something temporary.These verbs describe thoughts,feelings,senses,possessions and descriptions.
Here are some examples of state verbs:
I assume you're too busy to play games.
I love music.
This pie smells delicious.
My father owns a resaurant.
You look like your mother.
Some state verbs can be used in the continuos form when the meaning is temporary:
What are you thinking about?(Now)
I think that you are smart.(State of opinion)
No comment given.
- Learn French / Apprendre Français / Imparare Francese
- English/French conversation
- French whatsapp group
- Characteristics of a good English teacher?
- русский язык
- Est que Google translater est un bon outil pour rechercher le sens des mots et phrases etrangérs?
- Is Google translater a good tool for searching the meaning of foreign words or sentences?
- Learning two languages at once
- اريد ان اتعلم اللغه الانجليزيه هل يستطيع احد ان يعلمني
- Teaching a Foreign Language, Studying a Foreign Language