(ARTICLE) IELTS Grammar:State Verbs
Present continuous is not normally used with state verbs because the meaning of the verb itself is general truth rather than something temporary.These verbs describe thoughts,feelings,senses,possessions and descriptions.
Here are some examples of state verbs:
I assume you're too busy to play games.
I love music.
This pie smells delicious.
My father owns a resaurant.
You look like your mother.
Some state verbs can be used in the continuos form when the meaning is temporary:
What are you thinking about?(Now)
I think that you are smart.(State of opinion)
No comment given.
- Dire Straits
- Why so many Latin American countries are ranked as the most violent countries in the world?
- Pro und Kontra (Sozialversicherung in Deutschland)
- qual é a idade em que a pessoa pode ser punida por crimes em seu país?
- Do you think find a good languge partner is hard?
- Start learning English
- Top 5 of Argentinian places
- Are people from Philipines or India English native speakers?
- I would like to talk to you
- Can vs May, Can vs Could, May vs Might