kuu3
Russian Society

In Japan , these days TV and Internet programs tell us the situation in Russia.

Because a lot of people forcus the Sochi Olympics.
I heard that , in Russian society , a lot of people use drag and alcohol because there is no hope in their future. And Policemen do not get enough salary to live in city and they need to arrest people who are not guilty.there are a lot of bad policemen who also get a lot of curruptions.
These kind of curruption are expanded in Russian society and people do not care about each other. (only think about themselves and their family)

Is these kind of situation is truth in Russia? or just happened in small part of Russian society?

Feb 11, 2014 1:07 PM
Comments · 10

It's difficult to answer your question just "yes" or "no".

Russia (as well as Japan, by the way) belongs to so-called high-context culture (you can find the the term in the internet). It means that the formal law here is kind of a surface layer - something minor,

secondary, optional for execution... At the same time there are informal rules of living, of behaviour, of intercommunion  which are common and generally accepted. At the same time those "rulls" are flexible and depend on many factors: on a person's status, on circumstances, on situation...

If something is prohibited by law, it doesn't mean that it's prohibited for everyone, always and everywhere. For example, if you overspeed on the road  you must be fined by a policman. But quite often you can "pay off" with cash, a lower ammount - to give a bribe. It is quite conventional... but... you have to guess first whether the policeman is in the proper mood, whether the situation is suitable, what ammount would be suficcient for the bribe, and so on. And you give a bribe you have do do it in a proper way. And you cant read these informal rulls in a textbook. You can learn them just by experience of living in the country. And you have to be always "tuned" on other people's mood, you have to feel them, to feel the situation.

So, the situation you described may look terrible for some foreigners, but is usual and customary for Russians. Russia has been living this way for many centuries - and however it manages to survive.

February 20, 2014

On the one hand, I think it is true. On the other hand, I am getting a little tired of people criticizing Russia. It seems that Russia is an easy target. If you see this Pussy Riot thing, of course, freedom of speach is important, but, why so much focus on Pussy Riot, and nobody talks about Amina Tyler (real name Amina Sboui), a Tunisian FEMEN activist. Because, if you would support the Tunisian activist, rapidly the lifted index finger would claim Islamophobia. If you look at the gay rights, again, I also support gay right, but, the rights of gays are much more severely harmed in African countries. But, nobody says that. The lifted index finger would claim racism. Hence complaining about Russia is easy, nobody attacks you, all will agree, and you can tap yourself on the back supporting 'the good cause'. Nevertheless I am not saying that in Russia everything is good, and all people are happy. But hit on another target from time to time.

February 21, 2014

Unfortunately, the greater fraction of the truth in it is. Both corruption, and an alcoholism (especially among youth, and it is terrible...). The negative phenomena are characteristic for the certain layers - so-called маргиналов (a having little education part of the population and unemployeds, homeless). There are charitable organizations which help them, but a situation it does not change. In recent years Russia practically has ceased to be the social state and does not care of not protected members of a society (children, old men and sick people) On carrying out of Olympiad unfairly huge money are spent, and for treatment of sick children in Russia of money is not present... All this Is sad.

February 20, 2014

@Roman77SPb - this thread is 1.5 years old. The great great great grandchildern of the thread starters have probably all died by now. RIP, ok?

September 5, 2015

I noticed date only now. Lol

September 10, 2015
Show more