Site Feedback

GREEK ---> I want to learn it, immerse in it, enjoy it. I'd love to chat with native speakers. :-)

Hello.

I am Hungarian. I live in Croatia. I speak Hungarian, Croatian and English. I also understand Serbian. I used to study French and German in school.

I like to learn Greek because this language fascinates me. I love it because it is an old and unique language, just like Hungarian.

I've been studying Greek for 2 days! :-) I currently study the alphabet.

So, what do you think about Greek?

By the way, I must say that it is quite funny that Greeks use a semi-colon (;) when they ask a question. It's interesting. :-)

Share:

Comments

; <- This is our questionmark, yeah! :D

for example, Τι κάνεις; =how are you? etc.

If you need any help with greek, i'd be happy to help! see you! τα λέμε!

You're the first nice Greek gal I know, hehehe :-) Of course I want your help :) I just finished with the ABC, both uppercase and lower case letters.. Although I still have some probelms with some.. especially gamma.. hmm, gamma and I aren't friends, unfortunately :P

Why? gamma is good guy! haha

Good job!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Hello Steven, I have been studying Greek for about 7 years now...and it has been a wonderful trip...never really difficult, but over time I have found that I have gradually raised my commitment, raised the bar...more and MORE, and then some MOOOORE! If you speak Croatian, you will be familiar with some of the cases, in Greek there is the Nominative, Genitive, and Accusative case....these are the main focus, and whenver you learn a noun, adverb, or adjective, you generally learn it in all its forms...There are a variety of ways to form plurals, and many little irregularities here and there, so this is something that will become part of the regular lessons. The verb system you can generally learn it over time, and patiently...it has intricacies and fundamental differences from the verb system of Latin-based languages...yes, the question mark is ;   and in the place where you use the semi-colon in English in Greek you use this ¨dot in the middle¨ called the 'Ανω τελεία, or ¨raised dot¨, it looks like this:  ˙ the verb system in Greek will develop your memory, and is a lot of fun! 

It is an extremely expressive language, in my opinion, it is the most flexible grammar in the world...a linguistic treasure, also coupled with the subtility and specificity of the vocabulary. Once you get grips with grammar, and have a sense of how to communicate, that's when things get interesting...you realize that you basically have to reprogram your brain to communicate like they do, because you learn how to say it "the Greek way", this is specially true for the informal language...as a rule, expose yourself to the language as much as you can...have breakfast over Greek radio on your smartphone for example... When you enter the intermediate level, a reasonable rate of learning new vocabulary is about 50 words a day...this is to be able to "beat the rate of forgetting", and to feel that you are somehow getting somewhere. I'd be glad to help you anytime, for me it is simply a life goal and a way of living

I appreciate your response, it is very elaborate. I could definitely use your help as well.

I recommend you study using the textbook "Communicate in Greek" (Επικοινωνήστε Ελληνικά). There are 3 levels, and it's an excellent way to work your way through the grammar. If you're beginning just get level 1, and then go on from there...it's great because it's a complete course, it's not superficial, it's contemporary, has grammar summaries at the end, answers to almost all exercises, and glossaries in 5 languages...I think it's especially important that it's designed to be like your speaking coach with its exercises. If you follow this, and complement it with whatever other material you find interesting, you'll all set.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. Currently I am studying from "Teach yourself Greek". These are quite nice as well. I have quite a good memory, so I would only need practice in pronounciation.

Hello Steven, 

In my opinion having a quality method from the beginning goes a long way in fostering your motivation, especially since you will want to have an appreciation of whether you're learning in a balanced way. With the "Teach yourself Greek" you will not be exposed to a broad picture of grammatical points, and it's likely not enough. I am not saying that it's not good, it's a resource, but I know that it's not enough for the grammatical points, and so it shouldn't be considered your "main" resource.  The ideal materials should be designed to take you from a beginner level all the way to an advanced level...when taking into account all its levels it should have covered with examples and exercises to do: all verb tenses and their uses, all ways of forming plurals, most common irregularities in verbs, using comparatives and superlatives, etc. These are some that I can recommend, if you pick one of these you will see what I mean:

1. Communicate in Greek (Επικοινωνήστε Ελληνικά) The complete course would be three books, each for levels 1-3. I'm using this one now, and it's excellent, I recommend it. You can optionally buy another book with additional exercises, or audio CDs with the dialogs on the book. I bought the audios from a site as a download for levels 2 and 3 (Look for the other methods on the Politeia site)
http://www.politeianet.gr/books/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89&keyword=%CE%B5%CF%80%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%BF%CE%B9%CE%BD%CF%89%CE%BD%CE%AE%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B5+%CE%B5%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B7%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC&limitstart=0
2. Odysseas, www.greeklanguagetutor.com. This is without a doubt the most complete project online ever made for the Greek language, and the most intense in the grammar and vocabulary. There are quizzes and tests that are highly challenging. You can register for an account and take the first two levels for free. There are 4 levels. Definitely don't miss this!
3. Greek A and B. These are two books, as a method I also recommend this one also because it's from October 2013. "A" Corresponds to levesl A1 and A2, and "B" corresponds to B1 and B2. This works like the "Communicate in Greek".
http://www.politeianet.gr/books/9789601628158-simopoulos-giorgos-patakis-ellinika-a-methodos-ekmathisis-tis-ellinikis-os-xenis-glossas-cd-pathiaki-eirini-kanellopoulou-rita-paulopoulou-aglaia-203760
4. Greek Now (Ελληνικά Τώρα) I haven't seen this one in detail. It should be comparable to "Communicate in Greek" as it has student books, options to buy exercise books, and CDs. I remember that I was deciding between this one and Communicate in Greek, and I chose Communicate in Greek because it seemed to me more contemporary, and more comprehensive.
Good luck!

Add a comment