Site Feedback

WORDS THAT COMES FROM ENGLISH IN MY COUNTRY

Despite of the fact that we have an official institution for adapt all the foreign words to the normal use in Spanish, (La Real Academia de la Lengua), there are very important exceptions in my country for that kind of control.

LOS GUACHIMANES

For example, if you go out for a walk on the street you will see in the main entrance of cinemas and shopping centres some guards using a brown uniform. They are called "los guachimanes", in English, the watchmen.

LOS HUACHAFOS

In the society of Lima of the XIX century, the bad reputation of the White Chapel neighbourhood in London, made that when the upper social classes looked down to someone used the expression White Chapel, but when the time passed on, it became huachafo.

FAITE

If you go to a probably dangerous place, the expression used for that is: ese lugar es bien faite. That place is too faite (dangerous). Faite comes from the way of pronouncing fighter in PR, but transformed in Spanish.

LONCHE

Specially the elderly people is get used to have a kind of tea hour around 5 or 6pm. That's called "la hora del lonchecito". You will have maybe coffee and milk and few slices of toast with marmalade.

I don't know why, but it's a forced adaptation of lunch, that means almuerzo in Spanish.

CHOMPA

That's another word. It comes from the RP pronounciation of jumper. Another way of saying sweater in UK.

Weird, but true.

Share:

Comments

The words sweater and jumper are very distinct were I live. A sweater can pull over the head or fasten with buttons in the front as a cartigan.  A sweater usually goes over other clothing, but it can be worn in place of a shirt or a blouse. A jumper is like a pair of overalls on top but usually has a skirt, often to the knee. Jumpers are frequently part of girls school uniforms. 

Add a comment