Site Feedback

Idioms vs. Phrasal Verbs

In the English language, there are two types of phrases that are very difficult for non-native speakers to understand: Idioms and Phrasal Verbs.

Today, I'd like to have a discussion on the differences and simiarities between Idioms and Phrasal Verbs.

What are the differences between the two? And what are the similarities?

I will start this discussion with a couple ideas:

Similarities:

Both phrasal verbs and idioms are illogical, meaning the words which make up the phrases do not normally fit together.

The best way to learn both idioms and phrasal verbs is through memorization, and then continuous practice within conversation.

Differences:

Idioms are often much longer than phrasal verbs, making them more difficult to fully memorize.

Some idioms are intuitive, whereas almost all phrasal verbs are completely random.

Can you guys list more similarities and differences below?

Share:

Comments

I would rather say that phrasal verbs are a sub-category of idioms. In other words, idioms would be an umbrella term encompassing phrasal verbs and other more or less fixed idiomatic expressions. I agree with you that a feature common to all idioms (including phrasal verbs) is that they are all more or less transparent (or more or less opaque, depending on how you see it).

Add a comment