Darkhan
What you know about...

What do you know about Kazakhstan?
I am curious, as country is quite young, and not many people heard of us...(Not counting Sacha Baron Cohen's movie)

So could you please tell me what you know about that country? Please don't search on internet for answer.

Thanks in advance for everyone's answers. 

Feb 26, 2014 1:52 AM
Comments · 23

Hi..Let me say what I know about Kazakhstan...  It is the ninth largest country in the world. In the 13th century,  Genghis Khan occupied the country.

In the 19th century all of Kazakhstan was part of the Russian Empire.

What else.....Kazakhstan allows freedom of religion. Which is very important.

The capital is Astana, where it was moved from Almaty.

I also know that there are one or two armenians in the football team of Aktobe...:))

February 26, 2014

Well. I know that in Kazakhstan live the kazakhs who are the ethnic group that gives name to the country. Kazakhs are turkic peoples. Also there is an important number of russians as it used to be in the soviet union. Russian is widely spoken in Kazakhstan because of that despite Kazakh being the language of the country. Kazakh is a turkic language related to Uzbek, Turkish, Kyrgyz, Uyghur. In Kazakhstan approximately half of the population is muslim.

The capital city is Astana. Other cities that i know are Almaty and Karagandy. In Karagandy there is a football team called Shakhter Karagandy. Other football team that i know is FC Aktobe. 

In ancient times Kazakhstan served as a road betwenn Europe, South Asia, East Asia and because of that now the country has diverse ethnic groups living there. 

Geograpically, Kazakhstan is mainly on Asia althought a part of the territory is located in Europe. I saw somewhere that Kazakhstan has important reserves of natural gas. 

In the last olympic games i saw Kazakhstan did good. Didn´t it?

I think your country must be very interesting to visit. And I know I´ll visit someday. 

December 29, 2014

The capital used to be Almaty but was moved to Astana. I also heard that apples came from the area around Almaty. Apparently, "Almaty" means "rich with apples." I notice that there is a lot of oil and natural gas. Some people say Kazakhstan is becoming like Saudi Arabia which got rich from oil.

Ethnic Kazakhs are Turkic people. They speak a Turkic language which is part of the Altaic language family. Many people think about Turkey when they see the word Turkic. When people look at the traditional nomadic lifestyle of the Kazakhs, they think of Mongolia. Most people also think about Genghis Khan when they see any type of Asian nomadic life. Speaking of which, I heard there are some arguments between Mongolians and Kazakhs over Genghis Khan's ethnic background.

When it comes to music, I like the sound of the dombra. It sounds energetic and unique.

As for food, I have eaten manti which are dumplings filled with lamb. East Asians like Chinese, Korean, and Japanese also have dumplings but they use pork while Kazakhs use lamb. I am guessing it is because Kazakhs are Muslims. I have also tried a kind of fried bread but I forgot what it was called.

Сәлеметсіз бе?

Қалыңыз қалай?

December 29, 2014

Without searching internet,I will talk some imformarions about Kazakhstan.In history ,I mean 300 or 400 years old ,Kazakhstan was divided into three parts...Big Yuzi,midddle Yuzi,small Yuzi.(I don't know how to spell them ).And in 1842 or 184x,,,Russia controlled your country.Your country is the biggest landlocked country.And a Kazakhstan man told me Kazakhstan people think the country 's shape looking like a cameral 's head......And in Kazakstan,,some people feed eagle as pet,let it help huntting animals,,riding horse ,,let it stnading in arms,,,,

February 26, 2014

Be careful. Your country looks like a good target for being IMF'ed. It has oil. 

https://www.italki.com/discussion/118642

When Sacha Baron Cohen made that movie, I knew I would like Kazakhstan and Kazakhs. 

I just read in the posts above that Kazakh is a Turkic language. No wonder my Kazakh friends learned Korean so quickly - the grammar is probably very similar. 

Now that I think of it, the food is probably close to Middle Eastern food. Shish kebabs, stuffed vegetables and other food like that. 

June 9, 2016
Show more