Roland
Tagalog Grammar

Since I cannot find a good book on Tagalog grammar, I was thinking making one myself with the aid of native Tagalog speakers. There are still parts of the Tagalog language which I don’t understand (hindi ko naintindihan). In this way I might get a firmer grasp on the Tagalog grammar ……
As an example I wrote this.
==============================================================================
The Tagalog verb.
In Tagalog there are essentially three tenses , past tense, present tense and future tense. Only in Tagalog the definition of time is different: Past tense is called Completed, present tense is called In-Completed and future tense is called Contemplated. On other important to us alien feature of the Tagalog language is the distinction between focused and unfocused. What does that mean? In Tagalog a sentence exist out a topic which has the focus and a comment which is out of focus. So in English we would say : The house of the man is big. The house, subject would be the topic in Tagalog introduced with ang, of the man is introduced by ng (which in this case can be translated as ng) since the man is the comment, he happens to own the house. the predicate in English “is big” is introduced with ay often confused with English verb ay is a particle not a verb ! .
Verbs to are in two flavors actor-focus and object-focus verbs, object-focus verbs being passive verbs. Tagalog verbs are only conjugated with respect to time not to person or number. There are different groups of verbs in the Tagalog language, two of them are the so called UM verbs and MAG verbs, UM verbs being to more complicated verbs. A Tagalog verbs starts of with a root word. For example the notion of eating is captured with KAIN. This is pronounced as ka-in, since there are no diphthongs in Tagalog, each vowel is pronounced separately! To form the Complete state (past tense) insert UM between the consonant and vowel of the first syllable to form k-UM-ain. The future tense or Contemplated state then is formed by merely repeating the first syllable ka-KA-in, finally to get the In-Complete state or present tense (present continuous) take the future tense kakain and insert um in the first syllable k-UM-kain . To constructed de Object-focus or passive verb UM is change to IN getting k-IN-ain and k-IN-kain, but what about kakain there is no UM to replace, no despair IN in this case is pasted after the verb kakainIN. (there acceptations though)

………………..

Mar 18, 2014 9:44 AM
Comments · 2

Hi Roland.  I may be wrong, but it may just be that all of us Tagalog-speakers here are no more than just native speakers.  If you are serious about writing a grammar book, you would best be guided in your endeavor by a linguist, if there is one here.  I am not one and my attempts in trying to help you have simply been based on specific ideas you tried to put into Filipino sentences.  I gave you some grammar rules related to your given sentences, but I would not be confident enough to say that such rules are infallible given the entire range of our language.  Therefore, I would hesitate to help you in your attempt to write a grammar book as I might end up doing more damage than good.           

March 20, 2014

Hi. Just a tip. First, list down all the verbs. Second, make a graph for its tenses. It would be easier to learn Tagalog if you know the proper words/tenses used since we always use them. if you need help which tense you need to use, just ask me. :)

March 18, 2014