Ilene Springer
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : Polite English: Phrases For 3 Common Situations

Discuss the Article : Polite English: Phrases For 3 Common Situations

<a href='/article/8/polite-english-phrases-for-3-common-situations' target='_blank'>Polite English: Phrases For 3 Common Situations</a>

There was some actual research done on which word is most polite in English. The test involved women asking their husbands to take out the garbage. Here were the different expressions the women were told to ask their husbands. Can you guess which question was most effective at getting the men to take out the garbage?

Apr 2, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 24

I beg to differ! The English as used in Englnd would never use the word 'garbage' politely! We would call it 'rubbish'. "Would you please put the rubbish out, dear."

June 22, 2014

Thanks so much, Jorge, for your kind comment.  I can tell you're very polite.  All the Best: Ilene: your American teacher in beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico!

April 21, 2014

great article

April 2, 2014

Hello

I would like to share my experience with greetings. All my English lessons at school back in Poland were not enough to get me even ready to greet my English co-workers. I was ready for good morning , and maybe hi, hello or something like that. On my first day at work all I got was "Alright mate!?" Well, I knew what alright is so I confirmed. Then I have noticed they were using that phrase over and over again, many times per day with many of our customers. I was so baffled by that word, I never even heard before. Then soon after that,  it was me who was walking around repeating like broken record "Alright mate? You alright mate??  :P

February 4, 2016

HaHa, Michael!  Thanks for your amusing comment--Ilene

October 30, 2015
Show more