Mahmoud
Which Arabic dialect do you prefer ?

I think Egyptian dialect is the most understood dialect in the whole arabic region , i'm not saying this because i'm Egyptian but it's a fact that we can not deny. recently the syrian accent has spread alot because of turkish series . I like the syrian and libanese accent , for me they are the same accent , although there are some people who can notice the difference between the two accents ,so what dialect do you think is better and why ?

Apr 6, 2014 9:43 PM
Comments · 21

Yes it's true, Egyptian dialect is the most popular because of the movies, tv shows and music.Cairo is like the Hollywood of the Arab world. So most Arabs can understand Egyptian dialect but I have met many Lebanese, Syrian, Jordanians/ Palestinians in America who don't understand Egyptian dialect.

It's crazy because even I can understand it and I'm not Arab. When I started to learn Arabic  I started with Modern Standard Arabic, then Lebanese dialect and finally Egyptian dialect. Right now I'm trying to learn Syrian dialect to speak with my Syrian friends. I thought it would be the same like Lebanese Arabic but it isn't. I have noticed that there isn't many resources to learn Sham Arabic and there isn't much help for Sham Arabic in italki either :( 

Personally I think it's important to know both because both dialects are popular, but Egyptian is easier than Sham Arabic. If you study Modern Standard Arabic first, it's easier to learn Sham Arabic after because many words remain the same, the problem that I have is how do I know when to pronounce Ta marbuta as "eh" instead of "a". I always get confused here.  

April 7, 2014

I like from Tunisia, I love when some friends mines mix they mix the French with Arabic I really like it

May 12, 2014

I don't think we can state that one dialect is better than another. For instance, even among North African dialects only, there is a big difference of pronounciation, tone, and words used. Maybe it cannot be perceived by "eastern" arabic speakers, as I cannot perceive a big difference between Syrian and Lebanese dialects, yet it is truly there. There is no way of comparison between them. Each has it own characteristics, each has its  own beauty. 

April 9, 2014

I am under heavy influence of my Arabic teacher on this subject. She fluently speaks all middle eastern and majority European languages. She is from old Russian linguistics school. Her opinion the best dialect to study is Syrian. But she teaches me classical Arabic. Regardless of dialects, classical Arabic stays classical. She always warns me to stay away from going to much into specific dialects especially into dialects slang. But.. My personal opinion this is not mater of dialect this is mater of level of education of your teacher/conversation partner. The good teacher or educated partner always takes into consideration where the slang starts and keeps a student away from it.

January 24, 2015

u r wrong , the most arabic dialect understood it is saudi dialect it's simple and Free of complications

اللهجه المصريه مخارج حروفها صعبه

January 24, 2015
Show more