Chris
What do you think about the bell for a waiter in a Korean restaurant?

In Korean restaurants there are these bells to call the waiter. My Dutch manager really liked them, because he could order quickly. I though, totally hated them. I think they are insulting towards the staff in the restaurant. Like they are slaves that should jump from their place when you have some wish. It is in my humble opionion, in my flat non hierarchic culture, not a way to communicate to other people. Even if you are customer and they are worker, and even if you have money and they do not. People should just politely ask eachother for something, not press a bell. So I just totally hated what my manager so happily called his "ding-dong".

Apr 8, 2014 6:11 PM
Comments · 7

Hi. 

I'm Korean, and I had been working in korean restaurants and pubs.

we are used to use the bell. 

so when people didn't use the bell, and just shouted to me instead, 

I fell bad. 

don't worry about it. and feel free to make some sound "ding-dong" 

but when waiter is close to you. you'd better just say "excuse me" 

April 8, 2014

I like the bells.

Coming from Canada, it was always irritating when one was trying and trying to catch the waiter's attention... and failing. (And then debating to oneself, "Was I loud enough? If I go any louder, will I be rude? I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION.)

It's just so much easier and I don't have to worry about being missed somehow unless it's ridiculously busy.

April 9, 2014

I agree with the other comments. I don't think it is rude or insulting - it is simply efficient, and definitely a better alternative to being yelled at, which is the alternative in Korea if there are no table bells. If you were to simply wait for someone to come to you, you would just never be served. To be honest, if I was working as a waitress (whether I was in Korea or not), I'd much prefer to be called by bell than being either yelled at to come over or constantly having to bug patrons about whether or not they are ready to order or if there is anything else they need.

April 8, 2014

I've seen them used in Singapore too. The way it works there is every table has copies of a printed menu that you can mark your order on and then ring the bell. Staff will pickup the paper and bring back your order. It was a busy place and I thought it made the entire process quite efficient. I see what you're saying, and maybe in some context it could be seen as insulting. I didn't feel like it was 'putting them down' though.

April 8, 2014

I agree with you Chris.

It seems to be quite the annoyance.

April 9, 2014
Show more