Melissa P
Finding ways to read/listen to Spanish

I would like to find websites that I can read articles, newspapers in Spanish, also I website that I can watch TV shows/movies in Spanish.. Any help would be appreciated!!

I know many of you will think I should write this in Spanish....please don't say such a thing, it make me feel discouraged and ashamed of even asking. Thank You!!

Apr 9, 2014 10:51 PM
Comments · 12

Here's a few things that I've found to be helpful:

(1) "Extra en Espanol" (it's on youtube)
(2) the BBC web series "Mi vida loca" or "Extra en español"

(3) http://tunein.com/- live streamed radio from anywhere (Voice of America in Spanish, among other things)

(4) CCN en español, lots of stories, some videos

(5) BBC mundo (either website or app)

The other trick I've used is finding pages on Facebook that I'm interested in anyways, and clicking on their likes, to look for a Spanish version. It doesn't always work (not all organizations have a separate version), but I've found enough that my feed is starting to be more and more Spanish.

April 10, 2014

Newspapers in Spanish are easy, an embarrassment of riches. Just use Spanish when you Google, use the word "Noticias," Noticias de Peru, Noticias de Mexico. Probably my favorite is elpais.com which seems to be a Spanish newspaper which also covers Latin America. bbcmundo.com is a little easier to understand, but I actually think I can tell that it doesn't have a real Spanish flavor to it. 

April 10, 2014

If you download this http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html youTube Spanish and other recordings can be slowed down to a speed you can cope with. Everything can become like the News In Slow Spanish already recommended.

April 16, 2014

Hola Melissa, espero que los sitios siguientes te sean de utilidad ;)

cvc.cervantes.es/aula/lecturas
www.practicaespanol.com

April 15, 2014

I am <em>very</em> impressed with "The News in Slow Spanish," http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/latino/ . I don't want to sound like an ad for it, but... I decided to buy it a subscription. For free, all you get is a single news story every week, audio only, online only. And they have a very sneaky graduated series of pay levels where you get more with each level. A little detail that sold it to me is that they do NOT autorenew your subscription! 

By listening to the free material you can get a good idea of whether the level of difficulty is right for you. 

I think the quality of their material is just fantastic and just right for me. I can understand maybe 2/3 of of on the first hearing, then I listen again and get more, then I look at the transcript and get more, and then finally I look at the online page where you can get instant translations of the more difficult phrases by mousing over them. 

The level of the material is good, it's <em>interesting</em>. The language and grammar are kept simple, but (unlike Rosetta's "cultural" material) it is at an adult level, and it's not about tourism. They read a few paragraphs of news, then two speakers conduct an (obviously scripted) discussion, so you hear both formal and conversational Spanish. They have a grammar segment which doesn't teach rules but gives usage examples in context. The speech seems beautifully clear and really pleasurable to listen to. I think some of the "slowness" is not so much that they are speaking slowly, but that the pauses between phrases and sentences are longer. 

It is WAY better than trying to understand a talk show on Univision, or playing the Spanish sound track on a DVD.

April 9, 2014
Show more