Ilene Springer
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : Verb Tenses In Conversational English

Discuss the Article : Verb Tenses In Conversational English

<a href="/article/77/what-are-the-most-common-verb-tenses-used-in-conversational-english" target="_blank">Verb Tenses In Conversational English</a>

What verb tenses are used in conversational English? Explore these 12 basic tenses and see if you can master every single one...

Learning Article Verb Tenses In Conversational English ******I didn't write this article! It somehow got attributed to me, but I didn't write it.  

Thanks for reading and commenting on this article. BUT I DIDN'T WRITE IT! I don't remember writing it.  This is not the kind of article I write--I only write general articles (on no specific language) but ones that address general-language learning.  This article has somehow been attributed to me, but I didn't write it. Sorry for the misunderstanding (????)

Apr 17, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 8

I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion. The conversation wasn't spoken entirely in full sentences (of course, that's how all native speakers speak), but I think it'd be clearer for English learners if you wrote the omitted words in brackets.

Ex. "Not so great" could be the answer to "How are you?", "How are you doing?", "How have you been?" etc. I think it'd be clearer to see what tense was used if you wrote "(I am) not so great.--Simple Present".

Here are a few that I noticed:

"Why (is that)."

"(I am) not so great."

"(That was a) good try."

"(Are) you sure?"

"(I will) see you there."

April 17, 2014

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for reading and commenting on this article. BUT I DIDN'T WRITE IT! I don't remember writing it.  This is not the kind of article I write--I don't write on grammar--and only write general articles (on no specific language) but ones that address general language learning.  This article has somehow been attributed to me, but I didn't write it. Sorry for the misunderstanding (????)

June 13, 2018

Hi.
Nice article, though it's almost 4 years passed since you wrote it. But it doesn't have an expiration date.

What I would like to comment on - I couldn't find any Past Perfect use in your Conversation Example, although you mentioned that it was used there. Could you point me out to the line where it was used?

Thank you in advance. I hope you're an italki user still and will be able to reply.

Best regards,

Valeriy

June 13, 2018

Gianmaria--thanks so much...but you ROCK even more!

Ilene: your American teacher in beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico!

April 17, 2014

I love your learning articles! :) Good job! You rock! ;)

April 17, 2014
Show more