Rosalie
Choosing own names in other languages? (Especially Chinese?)

I have expressed interest in studying abroad in Taiwan, and I was told that I am required to have a Chinese name for my international student ID card, but I also found out that Chinese learners have to get new names to fit in with the language, wether it's Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, etc.

Also, do you guys think that it's important to get new names in languages other than tonal languages?  For example, do you think that Japanese people not being able to pronounce some names is a valid reason to get a Japanese name? 

Apr 21, 2014 2:28 AM
Comments · 2

I also have been told that I should choose a Chinese name (not for university but for ease of use :D). I can use the phonetic trascription of my name but apart from the similar sound it isn't very meaningful. I should choose a typical Chinese name, the point is choosing a name that is completely different isn't easy, so I didn't choose mine yet. I understand how you feel :) Anyway if you study in Taiwan, just choose a Chinese name that can be nice for Chinese people. As Anita said: 入境隨俗 (when you enter a country, follow the local customs, do as the natives do). Also Chinese people who study English use to choose an English name. I'm Italian and to say the truth we don't have to habit to choose an English name :) Anyway in China often relatives and friends don't use their real names either, they just use nicknames, so do the Chinese way :)

April 21, 2014

入境隨俗

April 21, 2014