Caroline L-B
Community Tutor
Learning Article : Getting The Hang Of 7 French Quirks

Discuss the Article : Getting The Hang Of 7 French Quirks

<a href='/article/94/getting-the-hang-of-7-french-quirks' target='_blank'>Getting The Hang Of 7 French Quirks</a>

Getting used to French takes some practice and some explanations. Let me clarify 7 big differences between French and English...

Apr 29, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 6

Thanks for your article.  It condenses a lot of information that I have gathered in the past 2 years as I've been learning French.  It's going to help me a lot.  As an English speaker I often hear French as a continuous stream of vowel sounds. The absence of hard consonants at the ends of words has been my hardest struggle.   Of course all the "liasioning" adds to the confusion.  I'm only now accepting the fact that just learning a French word is not enough.  You must learn it's true sound and the sound it makes when combined with another word.  For some unknown reason que + il, elle & on keep me awake at nights.  ;-)

Your article has helped me a lot, merci.

May 5, 2014
Hi, there's a typo in "meaning THIS saturday an no others" should be "meaning THIS Saturday and no others". Also, don't forget that weekdays are capitalised in English!
Thanks so much for you helpful articles.
February 6, 2017

Yes, I don't know why words like "qu'il" cause so much issues, but it does, you're not the only one, I hear it a lot. It's not "KUH-IL", just "KIL" but for some reasons, most people "trip" on that apostrophe and insist on making it 2 syllables. I usually say it's like English apostrophes (like in the word "don't"), it combines 2 words, turns it into just one sound.

May 6, 2014
Cheers, I wish I could amend the text but I can't! Capitalising the days of the weeks is a WEIRD thing!
February 10, 2017

Hello everyone! Thank you all for your interest in my articles over the last year. This is now time to say goodbye as I've decided to stop publishing articles here. I've had issues with the editing team for few months now, and even though they introduced a new editor recently, they still serve the same "Because I said so!" that passes as justification for just about everything. I'm simply tired of these shenanigans. If it makes me angry, there is no point in continuing. I like to have fun. Teaching is fun (I'm still teaching by the way!) Writing is fun. Sharing is fun. It's just a shame that there is something that has to get in between. Anyway, thank you all for your feedback, good and bad. It goes a long way! Cheerio!

March 23, 2015
Show more