Luana
Learning German

I speak English and Portuguese. And I want to know how hard is German? Do you think I can achieve a B2 level in two years? I am studying German to study in Germany for one year. The faster I learn the better. What do you recommend me to learn faster?

May 14, 2014 1:33 PM
Comments · 12

If you want to learn faster then find a language partner. This way you can improve your speaking and learn the correct pronunciation. You can also get help if you have any question. Then you should watch German films and read (for example fairy tales). There are also German courses offered by Deutsche Welle. I think one hour per day is not enough for attaining the level of B2. Good luck!

May 15, 2014

Ah, finally got it.....

This one!!

http://www.italki.com/discussion/67107

May 15, 2014

The question was asked before here. I tried to look it up, but I cannot find it anymore. One girl answered the question like this: Look at the Goethe institute courses. How many course hours are there to go from novice, to A1, A2, B1 and B2. For every course hour you should probably do at least one hour at home, so double that number. Then divide it by your time available. Pitty I cannot find that post anymore, that should be informative for you.

May 15, 2014

I think it would be hard and dependant on your own talent and time to spend too. But it might be doable. I would say rather more than less time though. Do not underestimate these levels. They are pretty high. I think many people who claim to have B2 or C1 on their profile here for example, would fail at an official test.

Goethe Institut is always good of course. They could advice you and say what your present level is.

May 14, 2014

If I may add a comment as someone who is currently learning German, I think 2 years sounds like a huge amount of time. Let me explain my own learning situation to explain my answer.

Although I had some previous experience with the language at school (2 years), I left knowing almost nothing because it was not a useful method of learning for me. I then studied using audio courses, from time to time over 2 years, but wasn't really serious so didn't make any progress. 

I recently set myself the goal of being at B2 level by October and have been studying much more seriously, and most importantly much more intelligently. Next week I'll have a routine of speaking the language 5 days out of 7, some of which will have lessons, so I'll know what to work on.

So I'm aiming for B2 level in 5 months. And why not? I believe I can achieve it and I've set out to make it possible, so I think you could easily get to that level in 2 years, though I'd suggest a dealine that is nearer and make your goals both specific and achievable.

June 21, 2014
Show more