[Deleted]
Wanting to learn Tagalog! ^_^

Hello!

In about a week or so I am leaving for Cebu. I would like to learn as much of the language as i can before i leave. In exchange i will help you with English (if needed). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jun 7, 2014 2:50 AM
Comments · 5

I appreciate your enthusiasm but if you're heading to Cebu, you should aim for Cebuano Bisaya not Tagalog.  It's a totally diferent language yet still Austronesian in terms of alignment.  You see, the country got 170+ languages with 13 so-called regional languages (languages w/ at least 1 million speakers).  Though people there may know some Tagalog they don't speak it on a daily basis. They speak fluent English too, and like Manila settlers who are infamous with Taglish, Cebuanos are code-switchers too - hence "Bislish".  To cut it short, learning Tagalog would be useless unless you plan to stay in Manila. ;)

June 7, 2014

There are a number of different Visayan (Bisaya/n) languages.  Cebuano is just one of them.  So I hope the Bisaya you are learning is the right one.  Rest assured though that the majority of Filipinos can understand and speak English.  Not everyone is fluent though, but I am sure you'd be able to communicate with practically everyone.  Moreover, Cebu is a progressive island province, so communicating in English should not be a problem there.  However, should it be necessary, just try to speak slower and use plain English or even gesticulate. You'll manage, for sure.   

June 8, 2014

Hi

My name is Bern and I think I can help you if you are interested to learn Bisaya because I am a Bisaya also and if you are interested in learning Tagalog I can help you as well. Bisaya is one of the most spoken dialect in the Philipines. Let me know if you are still needing help and I will be free for you:)

June 8, 2014

Hi Dear??
My name is Miss stephanie Barry,i will also like to be your friend,and want you to contact me through my email address ([email protected])so that i can send you my pictures and more details about me for you to know whom i am, I am waiting for your mail to my email address to day,thanks and God bless.
Stephanie.

June 7, 2014

Thanks for the clarification! I've been looking up videos on Bisaya and its going pretty well. I'm  Trying to find basic/easy phrases to learn.

June 7, 2014