Ilene Springer
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : Can Learning English Be Fun?

Discuss the Article : Can Learning English Be Fun?

<a href='/article/164/can-learning-english-be-fun' target='_blank'>Can Learning English Be Fun?</a>

Not only can learning English be fun; it should be fun! So what do we mean by fun? First, let’s see what we don’t mean...

Jun 9, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 15

Good subject Iilene

#1  Studying alone  might be an example of a method that is not fun.

#2  Reading lessons about subjects that are not at all interesting to a student  might not be fun.

#3  Studying with a  teacher or tutor that criticizes  every minor little mistake might not be fun.

#4  Studying with a teacher or tutor who expects the student to practice spontaneous

sentence construction  as part of conversation might not be fun.

#5  Studying with a teacher  who cannot guide the student into an advanced  vocabulary

which deals with ideas which might include  Science,  Philosophy,  Art,  History,  Law, 

and  Theology  might be regarded as not fun.

#6  Studying with a teacher  or tutor who   expects or demands  the student to understand

too many Mental Abstractions  might not be fun.

#7  Studying with a teacher or tutor who has no  knowledge of the culture of the student  might not be fun.

These are a few scenarios which come to my mind.

June 10, 2014

I agree with all of it, except perhaps the last point: if students don't undertsand a comment is supposed to be funny, I prefer if hey stare at me. I recognise the face that says "I don't get it" and I'm very happy to offer an explanation. If they pretend it's funny, I might not notice anything and they might be too shy to ask, so the joke is lost and they haven't learn anything.

June 11, 2014

Excellent article Mrs. Springer!

If you give me permission Mrs. Springer, I just would like to add another important thing that for me it has been fun and effective.

Immerse yourself in English!

What do I mean by that?

Since I started learning English, I have changed the language of everything, like my computer, my cellphone, my social networks, and everything which is possible to change the language.

Believe me! By doing this you can learn English without know that you're learning. Weird, isn't it? But it's fun and it works.

That's it!

Thanky you Mrs. Springer for sharing amazing hints with us.

Regards.

June 11, 2014

I'm learning English now, and I think it should be fun, it is also necessary!! 

June 10, 2014

Caroline--thanks for reading and your feedback.  Thanks for your opinion about the last point about a funny comment that students may not understand.  All the best to you--Ilene from Beautiful New Mexico, USA!

June 13, 2014
Show more