Dorothy
Spanglish: ¿Te gustaría leer con nosotros? Would you like to read a book with us?

The following will be in English after the Spanish. This project is for both English speakers wanting to learn Spanish and for Spanish speakers wanting to learn English. 

En español:

El miércoles 18 de Junio, empezaré a leer el libro "El Alquimista" con algunos amigos de Italki y el jueves 19 de Junio comenzaremos un debate sobre el libro. Leeremos un capitulo a la vez. Es un buen libro para practicar idiomas porque es muy fácil de entender y sus capítulos son muy cortos. Este libro resulta muy interesante porque se lo han leído millones de personas en todo el mundo. En definitiva es un libro muy popular.

Mis amigos se leerán el libro en inglés y yo lo haré en español pero también conseguí el libro en inglés para comprobar que comprendí lo que previamente había leído en español. Hablaremos sobre el libro en ambos idiomas y haremos un debate en una especie de "spanglish". Escribiremos tanto en inglés como en español, en el mismo post o en post diferentes, siempre utilizando aquel idioma con el que nos sintamos más comodos o aquel que queramos perfeccionar.

La unica regla para poder hacer esto con nosotros es que solo se podrá comentar aquel capitulo que estamos leyendo, quedando totalmente prohibido hablar de los capítulos que vienen después y que por tanto no nos habremos leido.

Esto va a ser un proceso lento y largo y no queremos que nadie nos estropee el final. Vamos a estar comentando cada capitulo hasta llegar al final del libro, por esto puedes esperar hasta el final para comentar si ya has leído el libro.

¡Espero que se unan a nosotros para nuestro pequeño club del libro Spanglish de Italki!

El libro en inglés gratis:

http://vk.com/doc22630335_50640096?hash=b9f1d0e028165e0c61&dl=83427beabcd95422b7

o

http://www.book4free.us/2013/10/the-alchemist-by-paulo-coelho-epub-mobi.html

In English:

Some italki friends and I are going to start reading "The Alquimist[ on Wednesday June 18, 2014 and will start discussing it here on Thursday June 19th. We'll be reading it one tiny chapter at a time. It's a good book because the language is easy and the chapters are very short and millions of people have read it all over the world. Because it's popular, at the very least, it's a good book to be familiar with even if you aren't particularly into the subject.

My friends will be reading the book in English and I'll be reading it in Spanish. I also got the book in English so I could read a chapter in English after I read it in Spanish so as to make sure I really understood it.

We'll be talking about the book in both English and Spanish, making the discussion into a kind of "Spanglish". We'll write in either English or Spanish anywhere even within a single post, whichever language we feel comfortable in or want to practice.

The only rule is that you do this WITH US one chapter at a time and not talk about any chapters to come. This is going to be a slow and long process and we don't want anyone to spoil the end for us. We'll be discussing the book as a whole at THE END of the discussion so you can wait until then to join us if you've already read it.

Hope you will join us for our little italki Spanglish book club!

Here's a link for the book in Spanish for free:

http://www.uaca.ac.cr/bv/ebooks/novela/7.pdf

Jun 16, 2014 5:57 PM
Comments · 389

Wow Maria! Thank you so very much. It took me some time to read and study your translation. It was such a good lesson for me! The one thing that I think I didn't say clearly enough was this sentence that might be clearer now?

'Un hombre espiritual (tal vez es Cristo si mismo) contó la historia.'

You did an amazing job of translating! I can't thank you enough. I'm going to study it again this weekend. 

If you or anyone would ever like me to do the same I would be glad to because I now understand what a fantastic tool for learning it is! 

July 25, 2014

Hello everyone,

I found this chapter to be quite interesting. It is somewhat dark and I think Santiago is fighting his impulses here. As a Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist, if Santiago was my patient, I would think he is having thoughts and feelings that he was taught in the seminary were sinful. Now as he tries to fight them, he experiences thoughts like "what if I killed my sheep one by one" or is having repetitive dreams although we have not been told what the dream is yet. 

I also get the feeling that he is thinking about marrying the woman he met a year ago although from what we were told, they have only spent 2 hours together in front of her father's store. At the same time he was having thought of different career paths he could follow, all of which seem to be somewhat solitary pursuits.

very interesting!

Hola todo el mundo,

Encontré este capítulo ser bastante interesante. Es algo oscuro y pienso Santiago esta luchando su impulsos aquí. Como psicoterapeuta psicoanalítica, sí Santiago fue mi paciente, pienso que el es tienando pensamientos y sentimientos le ensañaron en el seminario eran pecadores. Ahora el trata a luchar a ellos, el experiencia pensamientos como "Qué pasa si yo maté a mis ovejas" o es tienando repetitivo sueños aunque no hemos estado dicho que es el sueño aún.

Tambien da la sensación de el es pesando sobre casarando la mujer se encontró un año pasado aunque ellos tener sólo gastó dos horas juntos en frente la tenda de su padre. Lo mismo tiempo, el fue tienando pensamientos de diferente la carreras el podría seguir, todos de los cuales parecen ser actividades. solitarias.

muchimas interasante!

June 28, 2014

Hi again! 

I have already read Chapter 13. Here I write the vocabulary that I didn't understand: 

wakefulness- desvelo
sought- buscado
saddened-entristecido
seek- buscar
faith-fe
aware of- darse cuenta de
candy- caramelo/dulce
erecting- construyendo. 

Finally, I write a sentence that I have liked it:  <em>If I can learn to understand this language without words, I can learn to understand the world </em>

<em>
</em>

I like this sentences because it symbolizes the language learning. What do you think about it?

August 6, 2014

Hi all,

I don't have my printed out pages in front of me and I won't have the time to translate as I am at work, but last night as I was about to give up the author brought me back into the fold when he has Santiago curse God (showing that he has some belief system) while at the same time saying that he will not follow any preordained path (my words-my interpretation--like I said, I don't have the pages with me).

i like the fire within Santiago and somewhere from the beginning I have believe (I have not looked) that the book will end with Santiago ending where he began but at peace with his journey. But isn't that we must all do, take the journey and hopefully find peace when the journey comes to an end. No matter what or how we believe it all plays out.

OK, enough of Wendi's philosophy for the day ;)

August 4, 2014

Now I'm going to attempt to translate what I wrote into Spanish. Obviously, as a native speaker, if there is any doubt the English version is the better indicator of my actual opinions. I apologize in advance for all the mistakes I will make. 

Ahora voy a tratar de traducir lo que escribí arriba en español. Obviamente, si hay alguna duda, la versión en Inglés es el mejor indicador de que mis opiniones reales. Pido disculpas de antemano por todos los errores que yo hago.

Ahora, de vuelta a la providencia y el destino. Primero Goethe escribió en alemán, no en Inglés, por lo que estoy interpretando lo que leo en Inglés y cómo he interiorizado su cotización en inglés.

to be continued...

August 3, 2014
Show more