Ahmed ِAboaisha
Classical or Colloquial

Hi. Is that easier to learn another language in classical form or in colloquia? I want to improve my english so I depend on english movies and songs that help me very much but I found it is difficult somehow. I wanna :) ask too about opinions of who want to learn arabic what do you find easier? 
"صباح الخير كيف حالك اليوم "

or 
"صباح الفل عامل ايه النهارده " 

NB: I am native arabic if you need any help just contact me. I wanna someone to judge my english and clear what exactly I miss.

Jul 7, 2014 10:21 AM
Comments · 6

"In that sense, I disagree that the second sentence is easier because they both have their own pronunciation rules, grammar, etc. For someone with no background learning Arabic or similar languages they're probably equal in terms of difficulty."

Standard Arabic has too many strict grammar and pronunciation rules. Dialects are much more flexible and don't have many rules like standard. They can't be equal in terms of difficulty. 

July 8, 2014

"Standard Arabic has too many strict grammar and pronunciation rules. Dialects are much more flexible and don't have many rules like standard. They can't be equal in terms of difficulty. "

That may well be, and I see what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that all languages have some rules of pronunciation and grammar, whether more or less complex, so somebody starting from zero could find either of them equally difficult depending on their background.  Now, once they get into the language the situation may be different, but starting from absolute zero the two sentences are equal from the point of view of the learner.

It's like saying "which sentence is easier: ma petite-amie est trop belle (European French) or ma blonde est belle en sale (Canadian French)?" Both mean "my girlfriend is really pretty", but use slightly different grammar, some different words, and (sometimes very) different pronunciation, and Canadian French pronunciation can have somewhat more complicated rules but, if you didn't know French at all, you couldn't answer the question which is easier because, to you, it's all just "something in French".

So MSA may be more complex and have stricter rules, but colloquial Arabic variants have their own rules and, when you don't know any Arabic at all, the sentences given by Ahmed would be equal to you.

July 8, 2014

There is a large different between English language and Arabic beacuse in English there are some slang words and phrases but you can get what they talk about except some slang words but in Arabic it's complicated like Gulf slang differ from Sham and Morocco slang by 360 degree Egyptian slang also widely differ from other
For your question you need to learn new vocabulary to gain your vocabulary bank in order to be ready to say same thing by different way

July 7, 2014

In my opinion, both are important and should be learned. But, the reason why you're learning the language determines which one you learn first. For example, I'm learning Japanese and I want to learn both standard and colloquial. I find that learning standard is really important because I have to be formal when I speak to older people. However, colloquial Japanese is funny and interesting to learn. 

Colloquial Arabic is more natural to speak with people. So, it can't be neglected. 

July 7, 2014

You'll get different answers about this question. In my experience, and as a professional tutor for teaching Arabic. I think learning an accent is quite easy, because we guys as Arabs, we use our accent for communication, and to communicate we do make Arabic (classical) easy to be understood and spelling it. For example for your sentence, the second one it's easier for learners than the first one, because in MSA, when we speak we have to care about the pronunciation, the grammar rules to spell and say the words perfectly, which is not easy for people at the first time, they need to practice day by day to get this level. 

In my view, Classical or accents, the important is to be understood, and communicate with others. 

مع السلامة

July 7, 2014
Show more