Tasha
Have you ever thought how many words you produce, hear, read and speak every day?

Hello all!

The great Russian poet Pushkin and famous writer Tolstoy used just about 25 000 words in their creations. How many words you use in your ordinary life? How many English words I should know to normal communication?

P.S. Sorry for my mistake if I made theirs.

Best regards

Jul 10, 2014 7:36 AM
Comments · 9

I think it is better to know phrasal verbs as many as you can... as they are mostly used in spoken English ...

And maybe you can study topics (different themes) and it ll increase your vocabuary as well...

July 10, 2014

I can not use alot of words becuase my wife always tells me to shut up !

July 10, 2014

For normal  communication,  I can offer a rough estimate that you can get by with about  6,000 to 10,000 words.

However,  if you wish to discuss anything Technological, Scientific, Philosophical, Legal,  Spiritual or Religions,  or Political, you need a more expanded vocabulary.

July 10, 2014

Hey Tasha, your last post has a very interesting content. So active vocabulary is about a fifth of passive vocabulary? I was looking for that figure. Where did you get that info may I ask?

July 10, 2014

The 8 years native child use 10000 words to speak. The native adullt use more than 25000 words in there daily life.

July 10, 2014
Show more