[Deleted]
Learning Article : Living The Dolce Vita

Discuss the Article : Living The Dolce Vita

<a href='/article/200/living-the-dolce-vita' target='_blank'>Living The Dolce Vita</a>

Have you ever realized that many foreign words had been borrowed and adapted into today’s English? Dive into the Dolce Vita - the Sweet Life of a vacationer, exploring through the vast pool of words originating from other languages…

Jul 15, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 3

Hello,teacher Anne

Excuse me

Aren't there  any equivalent between Persian and English? Or another languages

Thanks a lot

Your article is very benefit for me 

July 21, 2014

Hello, interesting article! We use the word "bungalow" in French, and I always thought it was borrowed from English.

For a Canadian like me, a "chalet" is a holiday home (second property), ranging from a simple shack to a multi million dollar home by the sea.

In French we say "ombrelle" too. A parasol is a big thing over a table, an ombrelle is a small portable sun protector, not very fashionable these days. I always thought it was funny you say "umbrella" for a rain protector, as "ombrelle" are definitely not rainproof as they are made of lace or paper or similar.

July 15, 2014

Hi Anne!

I agree with you, it's really interesting how different languages could interlace and gradually enter in the current vocabularies.

I read the article you linked and, about Italian, "umbrella" is not one of our words because we say "ombrello". But I know it's very similar.

In Italy we have a lot of words from other languages too:

"stage" - internship

"weekend"

"all inclusive" - travel

"background"

"benchmark", "benefit", "marketing", "management", "vision", "mission", "brand awareness", "brand strategy", "advertising", "pr" and a lot of terms in marketing and communication area, I notice I'm using more english words than italian in my job!

"badge"

"band"

"check up"

"community", "download", "display", "mouse", "scanner" and the major part of terms referring to computer's area are said in English

"chewing gum"

"clown"

"coming out"

"feedback"

"fan"

"fitness", "wellness"

"evergreen"

July 15, 2014