Site Feedback

Learning Article : Advice from a Native Speaker on Learning Chinese: Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing

Discuss the Article : Advice from a Native Speaker on Learning Chinese: Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing

Advice from a Native Speaker on Learning Chinese: Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing

Speaking alone is not enough to raise your level. You also need to read and listen to increase your exposure to the language. If advanced or native-level fluency is your goal, start with pinyin and characters, and then try these methods of practicing ...

Share:

Comments

Thete is no need to learn to learn how to write the hanzi, just learn how to type them on the phone or computer

Well, different people have different learning targets, some might don't want to learn to write characters, while some do want to learn. And if you don't learn to write the characters, your reaction speed on reading Chinese books or articles will be slower than those who can write it, then you'll spend more time. and time is life. Writing Chinese characters can even develop your brain, actually.

写得不错,帮顶起,我都可以学英文啦,哈哈。

thanks for your article very passionate and true !

No worries, Arnaud.

Beautifully written. I agree. Very strong points. I'm having that struggle at the moment as learning reading writing speaking and understanding are 5 different skills but put all together what make a language. Not easy, may be daunting, but hey, we gotta do what we gotta do. 

Yep,mate.

OOPT

Interesting article -- thanks for writing it. With respect to your recommendaiton about buying a dictionary, are you referring to a Mandarin-English dictionary, or just a Mandarin dictionary (ie, the type of dictionary a native-speaking Chinese person would use)? Also, are there any particular publishers or editions that you'd recommend over others?

Thank you for writing this article, I am just starting my learning journey of Mandarin, and you offer very strong and valid points. I too would like to know if you have any recommendations for a particular publisher or edition of a Chinese-English dictonary. Also, where would you recommend someone interested in learning Mandarin begin? At this point would you recommend hiring a tutor? I look forward to your response.

Xie xie ni!

For me and most of my friends who are based in China -- we all swear by Pleco Dictionary.  

http://pleco.com/  - <a href="http://pleco.com">Pleco Dictionary App</a>

This is the best dictionary app in the world, and it has been the real "Rosetta Stone" of Chinese language learning for some time.  

Notably, you can sketch characters by hand, and look them up that way.  Of course, you can also type pinyin or English to look up words.  

It is also great for making quick flashcard lists (just hit [+] on any word you just looked up to add it to your flashcard stack).  You can also use your own custom tone color codes.  

It's amazing.  Everyone learning Chinese should have it.  (And for the record, I have absolutely no tie or business relationship with Pleco.  I just think it is amazing!)

Add a comment