Darek
What are you here for?

I've been here on Italky for some 3 weeks, I suppose. When I signed up my objective was to get so many language partners as to have opportunity for a each-day-English voice chat. What I've done is inviting many of you to language exchange or such a stuff. I wonder way on Earth you don't want to practice! Why is it so difficult to find somebody to have a skype chat? How can I entice you?

Or maybe, Italky isn't the right place for my purpose, is it?

Sorry for spelling and other mistakes:) I hope somebody may spot all of them and I'll correct them:)

Jul 19, 2014 5:04 AM
Comments · 32

I'd love to have a real exchange on skype and talk to some Spanish speakers, but every time I get ready to do that, I get incredibly nervous.  There are some real obstacles that always seem to present themselves when I do, and it has very little to do with being selfish.

1.  I'm afraid I'm going to be so terrible at Spanish, my language partner is going to be very frustrated with me.  

2.  I've studied hours and hours of Spanish and spoken to myself.  The last time I spoke with a real "teacher," someone who was a professional and who I was paying for an introductory session (not on italki, this was in another program), she laughed at me, and said we would need to go all the way back to the very beginning basics.  This was so difficult to hear after working so hard, I stopped studying Spanish for two weeks.  I am afraid this is going to happen again.

3.  I am confident about correcting others' mistakes in English.  But I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that.  Do I do it with writing?  Do I do it by just stopping them and correcting them?  Do I wait until they're completely done talking?  I am not sure how to be effective at this.

So there.  Those are my reasons for not getting on Skype.  I'm sitting here trying to finish my tree in Duolingo and all my Fluencia lessons before I get started, because I have a feeling that I won't be able to have an even basic conversation.  

What is holding anyone else back?

July 19, 2014

I have so much to say on the subject as a native English speaker who has had many Skype converations in the last 6 months. Will have to write blog post.

I now only have conversations with Korean speakers. The demand for my time from folks who could offer nothing back to me was overwhelming. Even with the folks who speak Korean, it never seems to end up 50/50.

I have met kind Koreans who don't need any English assistance but give me some of their time to answer questions.

I have also met one Korean who asked for language exchange, but by the second session had decided he had no patience to listen to my novice attempts at Korean. He is a busy business man who contacts me at all hours of the day and night wanting instant attention. I have given him hundred of hours of lessons for 6 months now, and he has never done anything for me.

So if English speakers hesitate, are choosy who they take on as students, it is because some people are too demanding and don't think how they can make for a more equitable relationship. 

I'm basically an introvert. It is HARD WORK to carry on a conversation with someone who doesn't speak your language well.

I do not regret friends I have made. It motivates me to learn. Yet I have also reached the point where I am paying a tutor so that the time I spend with him is focused on improving my Korean, not in teaching someone else English.

Anyone seeking English speakers and complaining it is hard to find a good language exchange partner, I agree. It is hard.

I wish everyone seeking a language exchange partner the best of luck. When you find a good one, treat them right. :) They are like gold.

October 2, 2014

I think you need to be patience. Honestly I don't like if someone who never I've heard before or participated into a discussion send me messages. You could start following people who likes and then maybe ask for a conversation. I mean  in the real life when you go out you don't add to a group of persons and ask to speak with them. It is a process that need time. 

Personally I found a nice group and we had two great conversations. 

October 2, 2014

I become member today, my sole purpose is to practice Italian. Alsa can teach English if anyone want to. I have studied English for years but to be honest wasnt fluent in speaking until I started to hang in Yahoo chats. I believe instant messaging is the best way to learn how to speak. İf its audio people tend to worry about pronounciation etc.  this make them not only nervous but also prevent to talk and think at normal pace.

July 21, 2014

First of all thank you, all, very much indeed for so many wonderful entries.

My post's helped. I've got quite a few new friends:)

July 20, 2014
Show more