Wan Amiera
The subjunctive

So, i've learned about new thing today. about Subjunctive and honestly this is my first time hearing this term . 

So, what've learned so far about subjunctive is that it's being used to advice,suggesting,ask and emphasing ...Are that true ? I'm not clear about this part actually..About their function

And if we're talking about subjunctive, i can spot the word 'THAT'. My teacher said before that the word 'THAT' is actually optional and can drop anytime.Is that true?

So i found a weird sentence that caught my eyes while reading my book, so i need to ask ur opinion regarding this matter ASAP ! ;)

the sentence:

'Bill Clinton is legendary for his ability to make you feel THAT you have his total attention ,THAT you are the most important person in his universe and THAT he is hearing and understanding exactly what you are saying in all its nuances.'

side note: We can see the excess usage of the word 'THAT'(3times)  in one sentences ( repeatitive ) , is that correct? or if I only use that for one times and replace that rest with (,),is that correct?

Jul 22, 2014 7:40 PM
Comments · 1

It is true that the subjunctive is used after verbs related to recommendations or suggestions.  It is also true that these verbs may or may not be followed by 'that'.

You can review a clear explanation and examples here: http://www.englishpage.com/minitutorials/subjunctive.html

The example you gave does not include any use of the subjuntive.  As far as the the use of 'that' is concerned, it is important that a pattern be established and followed in a compound sentence.  (note my use of the subjunctive)

The use of 'that' is important in this compound sentence.  I do not feel that using 'that' three times is repetitive or excessive.  It would be possible to use 'that' only once, but it would have to be before the final clause in the sentence:

"Bill Clinton is legendary for his ability to make you feel you have his total attention, you are the most important person in his universe and that he is hearing and understanding exactly what you are saying in all its nuances."

July 22, 2014