Azat
Reading, reading and again reading)

Hi!

I want to discuss with you such theme: what kind of books do you read? In what thematic fields? Are they electronic or paper-books?

Which book do you read now?

Jul 23, 2014 4:20 PM
Comments · 4

I'll answer this strictly on the format aspect because it's a conversation I have often with people these days.

I'm to the point where I try to avoid physical books for a number of reasons.

First, I hit that point where I need reading glasses. But reading too long with readers can be a strain. Reading digitally means I can change the font size to something that suits me without glasses.

Second, I used to have a ton of physical books which mainly collected dust after they had been read, and were a royal pain to box up whenever we moved.

Third, if I'm reading something of an instructional nature, my highlights go into a file. In the case of an Amazon book, Amazon stores all your highlights on their server. Once I'm done with a book, I copy all the highlights from a book into a note in Evernote. That makes it easy to do a Search if there's something I wanted to refer back to, and it's a better use of my free time... instead of playing some game while waiting somewhere, I can call up notes from a book.

Fourth, I'm almost a half hour from a decent bookstore which often doesn't have what I'm looking for anyway. It is really nice to be able to find a book I want and have it delievered to me within a minute. (And usually at a cheaper price than the physical version.)

Fifth, it's a minor thing because I don't intend on moving soon. But the next time I do move, simply packing my iPad or Kindle means I've just packed my entire book collection.

July 23, 2014

I would also like to add a few local books:

'Sol' by Henri Whitehead (you can read it on your Kindle)

http://www.amazon.com/Sol-Henri-Whitehead/dp/1491229446/ref=la_B00JZ5DIRI_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406138082&sr=1-1

'Winter's Bone' by Daniel Woodrell

http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Bone-Daniel-Woodrell/dp/0316066419

July 23, 2014

I finished Buddha's Little Finger by Victor Pelevin recently.  A student recommended the book to me and I was impressed.  I borrowed a hardback copy from my local library.

I have also enjoyed novellas and short stories by Ray Bradbury.  I suggest checking out his short story collection 'The Martian Chronicles'.

July 23, 2014

So, let's start, I'm reading now "Napoleon" by russian historian YevgenyTarle, also, on my desk is "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. I read as paper, as electronic-books in my kindle.

Recently I had read "Start something that matters" by Blake Mycoskie, very interesting story about human and humanity in the business.

July 23, 2014