Naatasha
What is the most useful language after English?

Dear Italki members!

I m thinking about to start learning new foreign language. Help me please to make a choise. Just please dont recommed Chenees (it is toooo hard) :D

Jul 23, 2014 4:45 PM
Comments · 10

That answer depends on the person. Obviously a person will always say that the language they speak is the most useful but if you're looking for number of speakers, then it would be either Spanish or Hindi. It all depends on where you live or where you want to go.

July 23, 2014

It's impossible to answer that question for another person, because there are so many variables. I'll just say that I don't think that the usefulness of a language can be measured simply by the number of speakers. For me it's more important what is being done in that language. And in that sense some languages punch above their weight so to speak. If you've already got two main languages under your belt (Russian and English) I think that you would be better off learning a more unique language. Personally, I like Spanish, but I wouldn't learn it just because of the number of speakers. It's only useful really in South America. What about something completely different like Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Pashto, Kurdish. That would be useful for diplomacy and intelligence. But if you like art and fashion, then French and Italian would be useful. You could also choose your language by gdp (gross domestic product) per capita. That gives you a completely different list.

http://appliedeconomist.blogspot.co.il/2014/01/gdp-per-capita-by-language.html

July 23, 2014

well I think it depends on your area, for example Spanish, in my case I am a spanish speaker and if you want to make some businesses in Latin America or Spain, Spanish is useful in this case, but usually English is the language that is used all over the world, but I believe Spanish and  Russian.

July 23, 2014

Naatasha 

I am not trying to brainwash you, but Chinese is probably a unforgettable option for you to learn if you want to live and travel in China, Taiwan, Singapore or HK. Well, language is closely associated with its culture, civilization and practical usage so as a consequence, I would advise you to ascertain what target you are reaching then to decide what language you are going for.

Good luck to your learning

July 24, 2014

Hi!

Maybe spanish language because u can comunication with latin american and is easier you learn portugues late because is similar to the spanish.

July 24, 2014
Show more