Alexandra
Toefl test

HI..

I'm going to take the next month the toefl test, have you take this exam?

How is your experience?

Hos you prepare for this and what is you opinion about it?

Aug 1, 2014 4:21 AM
Comments · 5

Hello Alexandra,

Allen is right. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and TOEFL (Test Of English as Foreign Langauge) are both known standard testing systems.

IELTS is a British, paper based and TOEFL iBT is an American Internet based test.

Your receptive skills (Reading and Listening) and productive skills (Speaking and Writing) will be tested thoroughly during 3 hours and half.

You'll face many questions that would require a solid knowledge of English and some skills/techniques that you'll need to master before entering the test.

You can checkout ETS website: http://www.ets.org/toefl?WT.ac=toeflhome_why_121127

Which provides the necessary resources for self-study such as; TOEFL iBT CDs from Barron's, Longman, Cambridge,.. , Vocabulary Books for TOEFL, plenty of reading materials, Writing topics with samples and listening materials. Aside from the exercises and resources mentioned daily listening practice such as radio programs/podcasts about science, art, social science, culture, history... would be of great benefit!

Wish you all the best :)

August 1, 2014

August 1, 2014

I just have the experience of sitting IELTs test. I think however they are very similar. Not only you have to sophisticate your input (listening and reading) but also your output (speaking and writing).

August 1, 2014

As far as I am concerned, my receptive skills in listening and reading is far worse than my productive skills in English.

August 5, 2014

Before your stting such tests, you had better have basic vocabulary and grammar knowledge to deal with any test.

August 4, 2014