Ilene Springer
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : How To Use A Mind Map To Improve Your Vocabulary

Discuss the Article : How To Use A Mind Map To Improve Your Vocabulary

<a href='/article/217/how-to-use-a-mind-map-to-improve-your-vocabulary' target='_blank'>How To Use A Mind Map To Improve Your Vocabulary</a>

Do you find it hard to memorize lists of words and phrases in large amounts? Deploy the use of a mind map, an invaluable tool that will help you organize vocabulary words, to-do lists and multiple processes in a quick and efficient manner…

Aug 5, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 64

In my opinion:

The list of animals could have been learnt more easily with pictures ! May be they should have conducted more experiments, one with just a list, the other with pictures and the thrid with a mind map etc. 

I am not sure if you can use mind map for language learning. You will be thinking about how to create a mind map. The mind map will increase in size with time. The actual map should be in the mind and not on the paper. Mind map can act as a reference as long as you haven't learnt anything.

Suppose you want to learn three forms of a verb. You can easily write these in the mind map, but a better method of learning is to learn the sentences from practical situations, dialogues, movies etc.

As language learning involves listening and speaking, mind map cannot be used here.

August 6, 2014

Hi there!

I completely agree that mind maps are a great way to memorize vocabulary, especially when the mind map is enriched with lots of colors, icons and images. I actually recently stumbled onto another article with the same topic, where I found a pretty cool mind map for German food vocabulary - you can check it out here: http://www.mindmeister.com/356248380/german-food-vocabulary

(And here is the link to the article, in case you're interested: https://www.mindmeister.com/training/use_cases#5)

Cheers,

Dagny

August 6, 2014

It's interesting, how many foreign languages did you study using such a strange and compicated way?

I don’t believe in this technique. It takes too much time to draw all these maps! However, perhaps it can be helpful in a particular range of application. But I’m not sure.

August 17, 2014
The mind map sample doesn't show up in the article anymore.
October 17, 2018

For example,  if I want to write about a subject, Mind Mapping is of great benefit.

A subject  like   CONFLICT, for example  can be at the center of a page in a circle, box, oval, etc.

Extending outward from that central conception, I can draw lines to other   circles which contain  associated  or contrasting conceptions.   Concepts associated with CONFLICT such as:

WAR,     FEAR,    TERROR,   DESTRUCTION,   REVOLUTION,   FIRE,  EXPLOSIONS,  WOUNDS,  CASUALTIES,   ADVANCES,  RETREATS,    LOGISTICS,   MORALE,  COURAGE,  COWARDICE,

HISTORY,   ARMIES,  TERRITORY,  BOUNDARY,  ARGUMENTS,  ANGER,  DEFEAT, VICTORY

...and on and on.

Every single one of those identities  appears to the imagination  when I set out spontaneously to begin writing about the single subject of CONFLICT.  Given more time and opportunity, I can identitly perhaps another 25 terms,  all of which serve to write still more and more sentences and paragraphs.

Mind Mapping is one of the most excellent learning methods ever devised.  When Color and Drawings are also used for visual display,  the power of the human imagination  obtains to its greatest facility for expression.

We can Mind Map to  identify all manner of stimulating conceptions which inspire us to write essays,  books, articles  and all manner of compositions which express thoughts.  

August 6, 2014
Show more