Site Feedback

Learning Article : How to Use a Mind Map to Improve your Vocabulary

Discuss the Article : How to Use a Mind Map to Improve your Vocabulary

How to Use a Mind Map to Improve your Vocabulary

Do you find it hard to memorize lists of words and phrases in large amounts? Deploy the use of a mind map, an invaluable tool that will help you organize vocabulary words, to-do lists and multiple processes in a quick and efficient manner…

Share:

Comments

Hi,

Yup I often have trouble in memorizing vocabulary.. Will have a quick look..

thanks Ilene Springer

Hi, thanks for sharing tips.

I truly find it hard to memory the new words, my essay at class is often recommended that using words poorly. How can I do to improve my writing skill?

I have been teaching the use of the technique, combined with another visual tool,

The Grey Scale  consistently

http://www.italki.com/entry/433997

In my opinion:

The list of animals could have been learnt more easily with pictures ! May be they should have conducted more experiments, one with just a list, the other with pictures and the thrid with a mind map etc. 

I am not sure if you can use mind map for language learning. You will be thinking about how to create a mind map. The mind map will increase in size with time. The actual map should be in the mind and not on the paper. Mind map can act as a reference as long as you haven't learnt anything.

Suppose you want to learn three forms of a verb. You can easily write these in the mind map, but a better method of learning is to learn the sentences from practical situations, dialogues, movies etc.

As language learning involves listening and speaking, mind map cannot be used here.

"Suppose you want to learn three forms of a verb.

You can easily write these in the mind map,

but a better method of learning is to learn the sentences

from practical situations, dialogues, movies etc."-----Nacir

The use of a Mind Map  for  outlining ideas,  does not prohibit or interfere  with 

the study of vocabulary and ideas as presented "from practical situations,   dialogues, movies  etc."

Your understanding of the   method  a benefit to understanding  "three forms of a verb"  is a misconception.

Mind Mapping pertains to ideas  and identities,  which are, by definition,  Vocabulary.

"As language learning involves listening and speaking, mind map cannot be used here."----Nacir

If your preconception  of   study of a language,  entirely excludes   writing the language,  indeed,

one cannot use  Mind Mapping  as a  practical study method.

However,  if a student of a language practices writing sentences in a language,

Mind Mapping is probably the most excellent  method  for the articulation of concepts, 

identifying correspondences,  outlining relationships  between multiple identities,  and creating structural images in  memory which serve     as a visual aid.

Reading  a  language, for example, is a visual activity, and is not inherently vocal or auditory.

The idea that language study should be restricted to 

"practical situations, dialogues, movies etc." is demonstrative of an overwhelming misconception.

Hi there!

I completely agree that mind maps are a great way to memorize vocabulary, especially when the mind map is enriched with lots of colors, icons and images. I actually recently stumbled onto another article with the same topic, where I found a pretty cool mind map for German food vocabulary - you can check it out here: http://www.mindmeister.com/356248380/german-food-vocabulary

(And here is the link to the article, in case you're interested: https://www.mindmeister.com/training/use_cases#5)

Cheers,

Dagny

For example,  if I want to write about a subject, Mind Mapping is of great benefit.

A subject  like   CONFLICT, for example  can be at the center of a page in a circle, box, oval, etc.

Extending outward from that central conception, I can draw lines to other   circles which contain  associated  or contrasting conceptions.   Concepts associated with CONFLICT such as:

WAR,     FEAR,    TERROR,   DESTRUCTION,   REVOLUTION,   FIRE,  EXPLOSIONS,  WOUNDS,  CASUALTIES,   ADVANCES,  RETREATS,    LOGISTICS,   MORALE,  COURAGE,  COWARDICE,

HISTORY,   ARMIES,  TERRITORY,  BOUNDARY,  ARGUMENTS,  ANGER,  DEFEAT, VICTORY

...and on and on.

Every single one of those identities  appears to the imagination  when I set out spontaneously to begin writing about the single subject of CONFLICT.  Given more time and opportunity, I can identitly perhaps another 25 terms,  all of which serve to write still more and more sentences and paragraphs.

Mind Mapping is one of the most excellent learning methods ever devised.  When Color and Drawings are also used for visual display,  the power of the human imagination  obtains to its greatest facility for expression.

We can Mind Map to  identify all manner of stimulating conceptions which inspire us to write essays,  books, articles  and all manner of compositions which express thoughts.  

Thank you!

Very usuful article, Thanks alot .

Add a comment