Mr. Broccoli
Best way to travel within Hungary? I am coming to Hungary in less than a week, and I haven't made many plans for how I will get around within the country. My plan is to go from Budapest to Debrecen, then to Balaton, then to Szeged, then back to Budapest. What is the easiest or cheapest way, other than renting a car? It seems like trains all go back to Budapest, so to get from Debrecen to Szeged, we will have to go to Budapest first. Does this take a long time?
Aug 6, 2014 7:30 AM
Comments · 5

You might find all the information here

http://vasut.kteam.hu/indexen.html

August 6, 2014

Sorry, I realize this isn't a travel related website.  However, having been an Italki user for a while, I feel like for the most part the people on this site seem generally inclined to be helpful, and part of a learning a language is learning about how a society or culture is put together.  I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask.  Most of my questions are directly about language, with the admitted exception of a polar bear related question I recently asked.  In any case, thanks for the information!

August 6, 2014
:-D
August 6, 2014
I'll try to answer, even though yes this would be answered better on a travel website. Honestly, your plans zig-zag you across the country. A quick glance at the train and bus networks tells me that you might go through Budapest a couple of times anyway, if not for every journey. The main roads also go in and out of Budapest, so perhaps your best option is to hire a car anyway and take the country roads. The Debrecen-Szeged train journey has a change at Cegléd and takes just over three hours. I can't say how long the journey would be with regional trains. www.bahn.de
August 6, 2014
Get a Lonely Planet guide book. Or go a travel related website, this one isn't.
August 6, 2014