Altini
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : 6 Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Language Classes On italki

Discuss the Article : 6 Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Language Classes On italki

<a href='/article/218/6-tips-for-getting-the-most-out-of-language-classes-on-italki' target='_blank'>6 Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Language Classes On italki</a>

You want to learn a language online, but how can you make the best use of your one-on-one time with your teacher? Here's what to do to prepare and make your classes productive and enjoyable. Take some notes...

Aug 8, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 39

1) I don't think writing a letter in the target language will give the teacher an accurate glimpse of the student's level. If the student uses no tools it might be a good indication of her writing skill level, but not necessarily anything else.

2) Not all students should prepare for a lesson. Other than occasionally choosing a topic, I don't prepare, because I feel it takes away from the conversation being real, and makes it too easy. I'm only interested in unrehearsed casual conversation, which might be uncommon, but my point is that not everyone should prepare.

3) I suppose homework is a good idea, but it's just really hard for me to imagine someone trying to completely rely on a teacher to learn a language. If the sessions with the teacher are only a small component of one's learning routine, which I think is the way it should be, then homework is a lot less important.

4) agreed

5) Agreed, and I would like to see the 5-star rating system at italki go away since it seems everyone is just giving 5-stars all the time with no thought involved.

6) Agreed, but know that the lifetime total number of trial sessons a student can take is only 3.

July 28, 2016

Big thanks again to all for reading my article and commenting..feedback des mean a lot to me! I appreciate it and am happy you find it helpful.  :)

Renata...I could not agree with you more!!! I've had several classes where the teacher doesn't have ANYTHING planned, no topic for conversation, no material, nothing. I, as the student, have to come up with things to do and talk about. Sadly, this has been my experience with professional teachers as well.

Aegis, 

1-Your last sentence just restates what I said :)

(It won't give you an in detail analysis, but it'll give you a tiny preview (aka glimpse of writing skills)

2- Sure you should prepare. Even you yourself do it by picking a topic." Prepare" doesn't mean you have to do anything super fancy. Just don't go into the class completely blind-sided. 

3-Homework is a  chance to independently practice what you've learned. You can make your own homework up. This helps to ensure you are NOT repying 100% on the teacher; it encourages autonomy.

5-Perhaps italki might consider really taking feedback from its users...because I, too, have lots of suggestions

6-Iitalki has changed quite a bit frm when  I first joined years ago. Let's hope this is something that changes too.

July 28, 2016

"the teacher .... to prepare" - unfortunately but it does not happen very often. They just talk about nothing and it looks like they even enjoy it. Most teachers have no idea what is going to come out of their mouth. 

Thanks for the great article!

July 28, 2016

There's a lot of good advice here - thanks for writing it out!

The students I've enjoyed teaching the most (online and offline) are the ones who prepare themselves and have a clear goal. I definitely agree with trying several teachers if you can - it's just like having a balanced diet, isn't it?

August 15, 2014

Thank you all for reading my article! I really appreciate it :)

Massaya, I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience on Italki. I understand that things happen, and sometimes we can't help emergencies; but, if a teacher or student repeatedly does not show, without any explanation, I find it very rude and unprofessional. Fortunately you can leave feedback and/or report a problem after every session. 

August 12, 2014
Show more