Stephan
Pros and Cons of Skype (or any video) ?

I find that the use of Skype in language exchange is tremendously beneficial. I am lost as to why certain people don't prefer it is there something I am not aware of? If you disagree tell me,  What are the cons of using Skype? If you agree just let me know feel free to add on!

Aug 10, 2014 12:43 AM
Comments · 18

I personally don’t see any cons with using Skype. I think people that choose not to use Skype do so mostly because of communication apprehension. When I first started communicating with different language partners, I always had a slight fear of sending the first message. It stills happens from time to time, but I just get over it and do it. For me, it’s simply a matter of doing what is necessary to reach my language learning goals. If I were to guess, I would say that most language learners that are beginning to speak their target language also experience this feeling.

August 10, 2014

For me it is uncomfortable talking to people I don't know in an environment where the whole idea is to talk.  What are we supposed to talk about?  I know we are supposed to be "exchanging languages" but I prefer a natural conversation.  Some people are just really outgoing and love to talk with anyone.  I am somewhat outgoing but I don't like to talk on skype until after I chat or email with someone for a while.  Many people that use these types of sites want to only skype or meet up right away.  It's not for me.  We all have different types of personalities and I would like to meet someone who has a compatible personality.  Not saying we have to be similiar to each other.  Just that we can get along well and be comfortable.   

August 10, 2014

There are people concerned about their privacy. Privacy terms on Skype allow third parties access to the talks. Who knows what they want to know ;)

August 10, 2014

Perhaps people think that Skype only has video calling and people don't feel comfortable showing their face to a random foreigner. Also, it could be that they're too scared or nervous and they just prefer messages.

August 10, 2014

I also agee that is interesting it can also be from the universal "jitters" we all get when speaking with people we don't know. In addition maybe the aprehension of not feeling "up to par" with the "minimum level necessary to communicate". What i find through my language learning from interexchange site like italki is how similar we all are sepite the cultural differences we all may have. 

August 10, 2014
Show more