Chris Brown
Learning Article : Speak 'Like' An American: Formal And Informal Uses Of 'Like' In The English Language

Discuss the Article : Speak 'Like' An American: Formal And Informal Uses Of 'Like' In The English Language

<a href='/article/220/speak-like-an-american-formal-and-informal-uses-of-like-in-the-english-language' target='_blank'>Speak 'Like' An American: Formal And Informal Uses Of 'Like' In The English Language</a>

If you have studied English, you probably know what the word "like" means, but if you haven’t lived in the United States, you may be unfamiliar with the some of the more informal uses of the term. Here's what you’ll need to know in order to understand native English speakers...

Aug 12, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 70

Great article.  The word "like" is taking over the English language, at least here in the US.  When my teenage daughter is speaking to her friends, it is not much of an exaggeration to say that 60% of their speech content is the word "like" repeated over and over, with a few other words randomly sprinkled in.  All this is fine and good I suppose...English evolves whether we "like" it or not.  Just a small caution to folks learning English.  In job interviews and other high-stakes conversations, I would be very careful with the informal usages of "like" that Chris describes so accurately.  More than a few times, colleagues of mine (in the 40-50 year-old range) have cited the excessive use of the word "like" as a reason for dropping candidates from consideration.  If you drink, drink responsibly.  Same thing here.  If you "like" a lot, "like" responsibly!    

August 23, 2014

Please do not encourage the use of "like" in that sense. Young people especially seems unable to say one single sentence without inserting the word "like".

Other unnecessary words or expressions:

- You know what I mean.

- To be honest with you.

- At the end of the day.

- Basically..

etc...

What do others think?

August 14, 2014

Thanks Chris.  That was, like, a totally awesome article!  I'm having a laugh because I have a "cultural cringe"  when I hear "like" used informally in England in the way you have described.  "Like" is used in the same ways that you explain so well by more and more younger English people so your article will be very helpful to teachers in England too. Thanks again and best wishes, Michael  

August 12, 2014

As a college instructor in the USA (English my native language) I <em>cringe</em> at the wretched misuse of the word "like." You, and all who accept the slang use of "like" are doing a disservice to learners of English, especially those who use English as their business/professional language.

A case in point - my niece, from Southern Calif., used "like" - like, all the time, you know? Like I told her, even though you are a CPA, like, no one will be interested in using your services or hiring you onto their staff, if you, like, are so language-poor that you need to use empty, redundant fillers such as "like", which grate on every educated person's nerves. Needless to say, once she cleaned up her language (and sounded a bit more intelligent), she successfully entered a professional life.

All you California Valley-girl (and guy) wanna-bes, clean up your act. If you are going to bother to learn English, then learn to speak it properly.

May 22, 2015

I agree with Ben and Timothy. The use of the word 'like' could and should be frowned upon. I certainly would not employ people who say 'like' every four seconds.

October 15, 2014
Show more