Arya
About Mandarin

I'm just a bit confuse, in Chinese there are words that pronoun the same yet different meaning, so if you heard someone talking how can you tell which word is which?
In a song, can you fully understand the lyric if there is no hanzi sub?
Thank you for reading and answering my question.

Aug 14, 2014 2:03 AM
Comments · 5

Chinese words generally (not always) come in two's (and three's) in terms of syllables. Words with only one syllable are generally understood given the context of the sentence (我,你,他,爱,吃,etc.). Words with two syllables rarely are pronounced the exact same way because you still have tones.

Just to give an examples of two syllables:

首都 (shou3du1) --> Capital

首度 (shou3du4) --> First time

Both have the same sounds but du has a different tone for each. Now of course, these words would also be relatively obvious from the context. In most cases it is both obvious from context and from the difference in tones.

In songs, since the tones fade away, it is mostly context you're working with. Also remember that in songs people tend to use more poetic language which may make understanding a song more difficult if you don't know the vocab they're using. However, as with most things it's mostly a matter of practice and getting used to it. Especially in Chinese music since 90% of the lyrics seem to be:

1. 我们分手了但是我还爱你

2. 我在家一直想念我们一起的时间

3. 你还爱我吗?你还想我吗?

4. 你是我的小苹果

So as long as you keep in mind that 90% of the songs are like this, you will understand them.

August 23, 2014

Words with two or more hanzis rarely pronounce the same.

Hanzis do pronounce the same a lot, but you seldom mistake them for they make up words with each other.

About the three "ta"s, they were all written as "他" about 100 years ago. When you say "ta" you either know which "ta" you are using or you do not and your "ta" contains the three different meanings. And it happens that we have to use "ta" in pinyin on the Internet so that we make no mistake, though seldom.

Btw, Chinese people get confused learning English when we find that the same phrase sometimes contains dozens of different meanings. Even so, you don't misunderstand these words, right?

August 14, 2014

That is why you must first understand the subject of the conversation, then according to the full sentence you determine what vocab would best fit the topic and would make more sense.

August 14, 2014

you probably need to know the context in coversation. for instance, most likely, if someone is talking about "ta", they have already said who or what "ta" is

August 14, 2014

hi. i am chinese ,I am good at english. i love to learn foreighn languages.i hope to have friends. i have skype :billbook3. we can learn from each other, do you have skype or qq?

August 21, 2014