Giulsi
A little curiosity:proverbs of your country

I have a great curiosity! I would to know some provwrb or saying typical of your country! Now I tell you an italian proverb:"a house of musicians don't go to serenade" according to you what does it mean? :)

Aug 14, 2014 6:35 PM
Comments · 32

রাজায় রাজায় যুদ্ধ হয়, উলুখাগড়ার প্রাণ যায়।

Transliteration: Rajae rajae juddho hôe, ulukhagŗar pran jae
Translation: Kings fight with one another; the <em>ulu</em> reed loses its life.
Meaning: While the kings fight war, the civilians die. Or, helpless people bear the repercussions of a clash among titans. 

It's a Bengali proverb.

August 15, 2014

In America that could be translated to: The cobblers children have no shoes. 

Someone who does something for a living all the time (a cobbler makes shoes) they don't want to have to do it without pay or on their time off. 

Giuls, would you please write your proverb in Italian for me to see? Thanks. 

August 14, 2014

Michelle, that one with the monkeys is great! :)

As for the birds, we also have a similar one. <em>Bolje (i) vrabac u ruci nego golub na grani</em>. Meaning: <em>better [to have] a sparrow in your hand than a pigeon on a branch</em>.

And something similar to these which Miguel wrote:

Quien a hierro mata a hierro muere. - Tko se mača laća, od mača i pogiba. - This one is biblical, so I guess there's a version of it in all European languages.

Quien con niños se acuesta, mojado se levanta. - Tko s djecom liježe, popišan se budi.

He gave the English version (with a dog and the fleas), but literally it's similar to Croatian. One who lies with children, wakes up wet.

Wet with urin, obviously. :D Except the Croatian version is more vulgar, "popišan" means "pissed upon".

August 27, 2014

"Cuando la pobreza entra por la puerta, el amor salta por la ventana" - "When poverty comes in, love jumps from the window" 

"Cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos" - "Breed crows and they'll gouge your eyeballs" 

"Quien a hierro mata a hierro muere" - "Those who live by the sword die by the sword"

"Quien con niños se acuesta, mojado se levanta" - "If you lie down with dogs, you'll get up with fleas"

"Sarna con gusto, no pica" - ""If you love scabies, they don't hurt"

August 20, 2014

"Bättre en fågel i handen än tio i skogen." Translation: "'Better one bird in your hand than ten in forest." Meaning: Sometimes it's better to go for the  low ground; like if you're in one of those TV shows when you get asked  a lot of smarty questions it might be worth taking the 500 thousand instead of the million. For example.

August 19, 2014
Show more