Melissa
5 de Mayo, official day of Mexico?

I'm from México and I'm sure this is not our oficial day, but I don't understand why in U.S.A all the people says it's our offical day, we have a lot of official holidays, I mean, during a long time Mexico was intervened, and the mexican army fight a lot. If you ask any mexican, which is the most important day in Mexico, may tell you that September 15 and 16, the Independence of Mexico, so why you think May 5 is our official day?

Aug 14, 2014 10:51 PM
Comments · 11

Please allow me to clarify myself. Sophia is correct concerning the history of Cinco de Mayo. But that's the significance it may mean in Mexico. Melissa Lom directs her question towards Americans, not Mexicans.

Melissa Lom writes:

'I don't understand why in U.S.A all the people says it's our official day,'.

Americans don't know anything about the history of Cinco de Mayo, because the American liquor industry markets it as a party day - and not as Sophia's research indicates, a day; 'that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862'.

I work in hotels and restaurants, nobody ever said on the 5th of May, 'let's toast to celebrate Mexico's victory over the French...'. There is absolutly 'zero marketing' in advertisements informing the American public of what Cinco de Mayo actually is, (Sophia's research above).

America is about big business and making a profit... that's all, (and I'm leaving out the military). We know what the propaganda on TV, news and advertisements tell us.

In a telephone survey conducted on June 2014, 1000 American adults were asked this question: 'Does the 4th of July celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence or the ratification of the U.S. Constitution?'.

78% of Americans said the 4th of July celebrates the signing of the Declaration of Independence. 8% said the 4th of July celebrates the ratification of the U.S. Constitution. 14% had no answer.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/holidays/june_2014/78_know_why_we_celebrate_independence_day

August 29, 2014

* It's a holiday but is limited has a limited recognition usually people celebrates more in Puebla.

August 28, 2014

miqueljea you call anothers ignorants but I guess you also don't know why you and who write here just talk about the party and think is a day of independence.

Melissa Lom You should know the history of your country, so I let here some explication about day 5 of May, you can also watch the movie.

Is a party held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguin. It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States While Cinco de Mayo has limited significance and celebration in Mexico, the date is celebrated throughout the territory of the United States and other places in the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,  which is the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.

August 28, 2014

Honestly, it is just an excuse for Americans to get inebriated, sadly like St.Patrick's Day. There is no cultural connection outside of stereotypical maracas and sombreros that day for the most part.

August 28, 2014

AnthonyNewJersey The Melissa Lom say: "I'm from México and I'm sure this is not our oficial day..." When is a holiday but with limitations. I think that is also a question of culture and education.

August 29, 2014
Show more