Joy Boy
Why do the South Africans speak english so clearly ?

Unlike the british or the americans, I found that the South African speak english in a quite clear way, and it's easy to understand them. What explains that ?

Could it be because english is often not their mother togue, but their second one, because most of them have isizulu, tswana, africaans, xhosa...as their native language ?

Aug 15, 2014 10:27 AM
Comments · 10

Because, if they need to tell you that there is a lion behind you, they want to make sure you understand!  lol..

Well, there are a lot of languages in South Africa, not only english. Maybe there is a need then to speak a bit slower and more clearly? ..just a thought..

By the way, everytime I look at your picture, I flinch. ;)

August 15, 2014

I do not know the answer Sam, but what you write about is true.  I have had several students from Algeria, and they do speak excellent English.

August 15, 2014

Hi!  My students tell me that I speak very clearly.  They find my accent easier to understand than native English speakers from other countries  I cannot answer your question though Sam.

By the way Bruce, Algeria and South Africa are a few thousand miles apart.

August 15, 2014

I watch a lot of International Rugby, and the South African commentators are much easer to understand then the British, New Zealand and Australian commentators.

We might describe the South African accent as being neutral.

August 20, 2014

Sam- I agree with you. I have known several people from SA and their english is very distinct (sharing only a few elements with Australians).  They do not slur or cut off consonants or syllables. All the sounds are voiced clearly. It might have something to do with their early european heritage (dutch) and the early speakers of English in SA.  Good question. 

August 20, 2014
Show more