RedOne
American or British accent ? which is better ?

Hi,

I've decided to begin communicating English. Don't be surprised, it doesn't mean I wasn't speaking this language. I am starting a new step of my life which has a deep relation with my profession so I am obligated to have a good professionnel English language. 

The problem here is there are two accents that we can learn or use, American or British accent. So, which one you advice me to use espeacially in the professionnel domain ?

Thank you for participating

Aug 15, 2014 8:14 PM
Comments · 39

Hi RedOne,

Don't believe that there are two accents in English. In fact there are thousands, and within the British islands there are hundreds, and dozens in North America. That doesn't take into consideration Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore, India, Jamaica, and probably 100 other places I've forgotten.

These days, more and more people are speaking international English, which is neutral, and can be heard on Deutsche Welle's English service, or RFI's English service. Certainly, within the EU, there is greater emphasis on quality of speech, rather than on accent. 

August 15, 2014

I'm assuming you mean the standard neutral English accent. Why doesn't anyone ever say "which accent is better? American, British or Austrailian?" haha

It's hard to define a British accent. as wales, irish, scottish and english accent is so different. 

August 15, 2014

Neither is better/Either is good, because they are just two different dialects of English language. When you ask which dialect of English is better, it's like to choose which dialect of French is better. However, mostly, the British and American English we usually refer to are just two main so-called standard dialectal types--> British Received Pronunciation and General American. But in both countries there are plenty of smaller dialects. Similarly, many learners are learning French that is based on Parisian dialect.

August 16, 2014

Since you are from France, you might study the British accent. But like said, the American and British accents are not one accent either. I am from the Netherlands, and since the UK is accross the Northsea, and I receive a lot of radio and tv stations from the UK, I am more focussed on British English. If I now watch CNN instead of BBC Wordservice the first few minutes I have something like: stop talking "funny", since I am that much used to the British accent. For you the UK is just across the Channel, and therefore you might have more contact with the British than the Americans like me? If so, prefer British English, but again, it is not such a big deal.

August 16, 2014

Salut RedOne. I believe we do not learn accents. An accent is environmental. We can learn a language.

Why are you limiting the accents to American or British? The Australian, New Zealand, Indian, Canadian and South African accents are different also.

When I meet a southerner from Georgia, in New Jersey, I know they are from the South. Spend 4 hours watching 'Gone with the Wind' - then watch - 'Rocky', and you'll know what I mean.

Cheers...

August 15, 2014
Show more