Sandrah
Learning Article : No More Excuses: Three Popular Language-Learning Myths Debunked

Discuss the Article : No More Excuses: Three Popular Language-Learning Myths Debunked

<a href='/article/227/no-more-excuses-three-popular-language-learning-myths-debunked' target='_blank'>No More Excuses: Three Popular Language-Learning Myths Debunked</a>

We often make excuses when attempting to learn new languages, but sometimes these excuses are just a mind game! Not enough time? Not enough money? Here we debunk the prevalent language-learning myths so that you will be confident in reaching your goals…

Aug 18, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 50

You are right about never been too old. They says learning could slow down ageing and delay the onset of Alzeihmer. http://ideas.time.com/2012/06/13/want-to-prevent-agin-learn-another-language/

Learning a new language could also hlep finding a better job.

Ps I like your writing style, it's light and funny.

August 21, 2014

On age:  About 10 years ago my (British) cousin married a Dutch man.  So our grandfather started studying Dutch.  He was 90 at the time.

Career benefits: long ago the same grandfather, as a soldier in WW2, was promoted, at least in part, because there were very few British officers who could speak French, German and Italian.  And also in the post war period he often went to foreign conferences ahead of more senior people at his insurance company because of his language abilities.

And he's still generally OK at just turned 100 :-)  A bit forgetful but never had dementia, so perhaps the languages have helped there too :-) 

August 26, 2014

Thank you ladies! Just trying to sprinkle some of my language-learning enthusiasm and motivation on the italki community. :)

August 20, 2014

Yes! I totally forgot to mention that as an advantage. Learning is like exercise, it keeps our brains active and working out. :)

August 22, 2014

What an uplifting article Sandrah. Thanks! :D

August 20, 2014
Show more