Helen
Mid-Autumn festival Do you know China's Mid-Autumn festival?What are the festival in your county?
Aug 22, 2014 9:55 AM
Comments · 7
Christmas and Easter are truly great festivals with an underlying theology and more than 2000 years of historical events and artistic creations behind them. You may wish to compare and contrast them with the Chinese festivals. I feel that more people in the rest of the world understand the Chinese festivals than Chinese people understand Christmas and Easter. Perhaps you would like to tell us what you know about Christmas and Easter?
August 22, 2014
Yes, I know. I know the Christmas and Easter. Will celebrate Christmas in China.
August 22, 2014
Australians celebrate Christmas and Easter, but for us they're just a time to get together with family and don't have the same religious significance that they do in other countries. New Year's is like that too, but since it's so close to Christmas many people just consider them one holiday. Many people spend time with one side of their family on Christmas and then spend time with the other side of their family on New Year's. ANZAC Day is probably the next most significant event in Australia after Christmas and New Years. It's a sombre day of remembering those who have been killed in war. It's customary for Australians to attend a memorial services at dawn, but there's usually another one held later in the morning for those who couldn't make the first one.
August 22, 2014
Here's my executive summary on the Mid-Autumn Festival: 1. Origins - harvest festival or deistic moon worship. 2. Date: the 15th day of the 8th month in the lunar calendar. 3. Ancillary myth - the moon deity Chang'e, a female spirit, which may bless women and their wishes for romance and fertility. 4. Salient celebratory features: mooncakes, lanterns.
August 22, 2014
I used "understand" advisedly, and it is not the same as "know".
August 22, 2014
Show more