[Deleted]
Your country in a book . . .

If you have the chance to write a book about YOUR COUNTRY,

What will be the name of this book ?

Aug 23, 2014 8:04 AM
Comments · 13

Maybe, it would be: "Countless Beauty of Indonesian Archipelago".

August 23, 2014

It's already happened here: <em>The Lucky Country</em> by Donald Horne.

...and "lucky" is not actually meant in a positive way. ;)

August 23, 2014

I think I'll write something like THE MODERN DIVINE COMEDY - LA MODERNA DIVINA COMMEDIA.

I'll take the cue from the Dante's original one and I'll mantain the main plot but I'm going to modify the characters, using emblematyc persons of our times and more actual situations.

That's could be interesting!

September 1, 2014

It would be: "Ceci n'est pas un pays"

(Belgium, reffers to Magritte's quote "Ceci n'est pas une pipe")

August 31, 2014

I can only think of actual books people have already written about it, particularly

<em>Travels with Charley in Search of America</em>, by John Steinbeck

The fact is that I don't know "my country." The United States is big and diverse. I think it is possible that it is <em>more</em> diverse than other countries of the same size, for two reasons. First, we really are a "federal republic" of 50 separate states. Each of the 50 states has its own laws, which makes more of a difference than people think. Second, our population is the result of so much immigration from other countries that, while we may not live in harmony, we are truly multicultural. (Whether we like it or not!) 

Seriously, there is always hostility toward the latest wave of immigration, but we take it for granted that there are "Americans" named Dufault and O'Reilly and Aziz and Guerrera and Kang and Ljostad and Herrera and Zimmerman and Patel and Shalikashvili and Jensen and...  

If I were going to write a book about the bits and pieces of the United States that I "know," I think I would call it

"My Country's Skies"

after the song "This Is My Song," Lloyd Stone, 1934:

"My country's skies are bluer than the ocean,
And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine;
But other lands have sunlight too, and clover,
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
O hear my song, thou God of all the nations,
A song of peace for their land and for mine."

August 31, 2014
Show more