Dee
What is the difference between American Chinese food rice and actual rice that Chinese people eat?

Hi all!

I just realized that this forum is so neat for asking questions that you have always been curious to learn about. What is the difference between American Chinese food rice and actual rice that Chinese people eat?

I have been to a number of countries and Chinese food never seems to be the same from one region to the next which leads me to believe that it is modified for local people. So, what is the rice that Chinese people eat really like? I would greatly value the opinion of Chinese natives and that of others that have traveled a lot and tried Chinese food outside of China. Thank you :))). 

If you answer, you have satisfied my curiosity :)).

Aug 23, 2014 11:55 AM
Comments · 11

The difference is between  REFINED RICE and   Whole Rice I think.

White Rice has had the out husk (the "brown"  husk) removed, which leaves a white core.

White Rice has less nutrition.

Whole Rice, which is commonly called Brown Rice,  sometimes is available in restaurants in the United States.  It is the rice that I prefer  to eat.

A bestselling book was written about this subject  which explained the differences. 

"Sugar Blues"  ( Paperback   )   1986 by William Dufty ($6.99 USD)

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-William-Dufty/dp/0446343129/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408802124&sr=1-1&keywords=the+sugar+blues

August 23, 2014

I like "Russian Chinese" food. I say so , because Chinese people who come to Moscow taste it for the first time , too XD

I think it's because of differance among products... Also , many restaurents make "exotic" meals more commun for us. 

August 23, 2014

I think the detail of better taste would be found in the life experence.

Richer is not limited so you can see their real choice under free status.

But it is worth to worry about something that you find it like human perfect idea, auditory sense, taste

..etc. That is not prefering to nature that is very dangerous. Actually, we can use chemical to know human taste to make them more fantastic. However that is not healthy, so some of chemical ways are forbidden.

You are lucky to have an idea to obey nature but chinese do not have strong the idea like you.

August 23, 2014

milled rice with embryo is closing the original rice from field.

White rice is that get rid of something from it.

It is needed machining.

August 23, 2014

You are right, Even though the food's shape is the same but the taste is different.

There may not be a standard answer. Rice has many kinds actually.

Different ways of planting that make different tastes as well

the ways of cooking is so too.

Basically all you see nowadays is white rice

There were milled rice with embryo before.

August 23, 2014
Show more