HAN
Western culture

Hi

i feel like that Westerners are more likely talkative, enjoying conversation than Asian. Is that right?

i know there are a lots people Westerners shy and silent but I'm not talking about each person's personality but I'd like to talk about their basic mind or culture that they really like to talk each other? 

asian are not so talkative comparing to westerners?

u know what I mean? Why is it a little bit diffent mind and likes? Any idea for this?

Aug 25, 2014 5:08 AM
Comments · 9

You're being overly politically correct and pedantic Anthony. Where you define the cutoff for east vs. west isn't important for the essence of what he's asking. In my opinion it's not disrespectful at all and it's definitely not "very disrespectful". 

To answer your question though David, yes, I think you're right and even books that talk about intereacting with people from other cultures point out almost exactly what you're saying. I think in the West there's a stronger culture of speaking out and questioning things. Things like family honor and losing face aren't nearly as strong in the west and this affects the culture in a variety of ways (some good, some perhaps bad, depending on your perspective). The West tends to emphasize the individual more than most other cultures. For that reason, assertiveness isn't looked down upon like in other cultures. Once again, this has both positive and negative consequences. 

August 25, 2014

Hello David. Who, or What do you mean by the term 'Westerner'? Are you including South Asian people including India and Pakistan. Or only people who do not look like you? I know many Chinese born people living in New Jersey... are you including them as 'Westerners' also? What is a 'Westerner'? Is it a location, or maybe mind set you are referring too?

You are using that word in a very disrespectful way. It would be like me saying to you, 'Hey you people, why do you people eat with chopsticks?'.

You can rephrase the question: Some cultures appear more shy and less talkative then others. Which cultures seem more talkative to you, and why?

August 25, 2014

I'm a US-born Asian. I know what you mean. I think compared to Anglo Americans, in my experience, the Asian Americans in school were more quiet even though they were born in the US - it might have something to do with upbringing too. I'm more quiet but it's because of my personality I think. I don't feel it's necessary to be so talkative. I've experienced in the workplace pressure to speak up and I don't like it because some people view you as an "outsider" or as "not confident" even though it's not true. I don't know why you have to be talkative to be considered a good worker but I think it has to do with this obsession with "leadership" although I've met many good leaders who were introverted. I've also worked with Chinese students but it depends on their personality and part of the problem is the language barrier.

September 28, 2014

I think there's a difference between Westerners as well. We have stereotypes about each other, including who is confident and talkactive. I guess if I were to compare Americans to British people I'd say Americans tend to be more talkactive and confident - at least that would be my perception and isn't an uncommon view here - although I try to avoid stereotyping as it's not good.

I suppose though everyone is guilty of stereotyping. That being said the two Asian countries I've spent that longest time in were Japan and Vietnam and in many respects they were like opposites. Although even in Japan in social events people were lively and and talkactive - singing karaoke :P 

August 30, 2014

An interesting topic!

Do different cultures influence the way how we interact with other humans? Of course, they do. Moreover, since a culture aim to fix social relationships, in no moment, I think, its influence is stronger than during a first approach: that is, when two people first meet.
The problem is that we tend to put down a personal disposition what actually is just a cultural prescription.

A culture can state that the polite behavior for a first talk is made of tact, of few and very general questions, of a certain distance from the spokesperson who should not be directly fixed in the eyes. The aim is that the stranger does not feel threated or “under attack”.
In another culture respecting the neighbor means making him/her feel comfortable as well, but in a different way. Hence, the first coming will be opposite: lots of questions about his/her job, family, life experiences, a closer physical approach ... so that the stranger immediately feels as being “at home”.

Now, in case someone from the first culture meets one from the other, both will normally try to be polite according to their respective cultures' rules, but the impression each of them marks on the other will be opposite: the first one will probably think the second (say, the “Western”) is some indiscreet, even arrogant and aggressive; the second one will maybe consider the first (say, the “Eastern”) as excessively shy, suspicious, withdrawn yet and finally not interested in the dialogue.

This happens because the first approach is the moment when we less are ourselves and more let ourselves be guided by our own social norm. That why it is also the time when a person can more easily be misunderstood if the other doesn't share the same cultural rules. Once this crucial cross been passed, however, the individual character can come out and the personal relation may start!

September 28, 2014
Show more