Diego
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : Slavic And Latin American Worlds: Breaking Down The Barriers

Discuss the Article : Slavic And Latin American Worlds: Breaking Down The Barriers

<a href='/article/235/slavic-and-latin-american-worlds-breaking-down-the-barriers' target='_blank'>Slavic And Latin American Worlds: Breaking Down The Barriers</a>

What's the greatest reward you can get from learning new languages? Here are my stories of how speaking another's native language has opened up new worlds to me, and how language learning brings people together...

Aug 27, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 12
I don't agree Slavs and Latinos are that opposite. I am a Serb, a South Slav, and this whole peninsula - the Balkans - is more similar to Latin America than to the Germanic parts of Europe. We are friendly, open, direct, nosy, kind rather than polite, joyfull, warm, hospitable, relaxed, spontaneous, noisy, impulsive, kissing and fighting each other all the time, politically troubled... Sounds familiar? :D Visit us and see for yourself :)
P.S. The characteristics I mentioned are general, do not pertain to every person or situation, and vary between regions. Except for the polical trouble. that's a universal constant from Belgrade to Athens,  from Zagreb to Sofia.
January 20, 2017
I agree with you. Russians react very positively, when you talk to them in their language (provided you don't come from the former Soviet Union). They show big respect. It's part of their "welcoming" Slavic culture, in which showing hospitality to foreigners has almost a religious value. I have experienced the same in Greece and Cyprus with Greek (although I barely can formulate some correct sentences...). 
October 2, 2016

Come on. I'm Russian, and I was shocked when I came to the UK because I had never seen people drink so much vodka before. Maybe I just hadn't lived in student halls...  I have seen a live bear only in the Zoo anyway.

September 9, 2014

Being a Russian girl whose mum is teaching Latin American literature at the university, I've always a different picture of Latin America from what most Russian people have. It was greatly influenced by Márquez and Cortázar. Yet, it was still another world for me, some sort of a scary wonderland... I was a teenager, you know. A very different side of Latin America that everybody in Russia knows is soap operas :) They played them on the TV during all the 90s! Most of them were Mexican but they came from very different Latin countries. My grandma was watching something called <em>Manuela</em> when I was, like, 4 or 5, and I still remember the characters...

September 1, 2014

Estoy de acuerdo contigo. Pienso que los estereotipos, sin duda, son resultado de la ignorancia. Pasa en mi país también, claro. Vivo en Argentina y todos me dicen.. ¿Entonces bailas tango? ¿Entonces comes asado? ¿Entonces tomas mate? Nunca probé el mate en toda mi vida, soy vegetariana y nunca aprendí a bailar tango. Hay todo tipo de personas en todos lados. Más allá de la cultura, o de la región geográfica en la que nos situemos, siempre hay estereotipos. Muchas veces los medios de comunicación masivos contribuyen a ello. Pero, aún si estos no existieran, por supuesto seguirían existiendo los estereotipos. Nada mejor que viajar uno, conocer uno y sacar las propias conclusiones. Incluso esas conclusiones pueden ser erróneas, siempre vemos una parte de la realidad. Buen artículo.

November 28, 2014
Show more