BeachGirl
Tips for Teachers

I teach as well as take lessons, like quite a few here. So I think a discussion like this could be useful for people. I'm always open to suggestions, but sometimes it's hard for students to tell teachers something they're doing isn't helpful or is in fact counter productive.

If you could give tips to language teachers what would you say?

I'd say to check if your students understand something before you explain it, by eliciting from them. I've found it frustrating for the teachers to prepare something, and then spend a good while explaining to me something I already know. I try to give hints by interjecting my knowledge of it, but they continue. I don't mind reviewing things as it can be hard when you're getting to know a student of their complete knowledge, but ask the student to speak and don't just explain, especially if you're explaining it in English.

Another tip would be to give students time to respond. Sometimes it takes a minute or more to formulate an answer. So, don't be afraid of silence. Students need to be challenged. If you give the answer straight away then they're not going to learn as well.

My third tip would be to try to speak in the target language as much as possible. I understand if you don't understand something the students says or they are a complete beginner then you need some English. Sometimes though I'll be speaking the target language and have them constantly coming back to me in English.

Anyway hopefully not sounding negative. I just want to share my experience and hopefully help others. I'd be interested to hear what others say to see if there might be something i'm doing wrong that i've never thought about before.

Aug 28, 2014 9:01 PM
Comments · 2

This is a good idea. Thanks for posting this!

August 28, 2014

Thanks, although I had hoped others would have something to add?

August 29, 2014